OverviewEli Lilly Health Outcomes Research Scientist Full Time in Surrey, BC
Branch Surrey BC CA
Health Outcomes Research Scientist
An advanced degree, including Ph.D., M.D., or PharmD/Master’s degree with relevant experience in an appropriate discipline (e.g., economics, epidemiology,…
The Global Health Outcomes Scientist provides scientific expertise and effective project oversight to ensure the successful fulfillment of the health outcomes research agenda to deliver better patient outcomes that are valued by payers and providers. Projects focus primarily on Alzheimer disease, related treatments and diagnostics that Lilly is developing and span the entire lifecycle of development and commercialization. Additional projects may focus on key healthcare policy issues that impact patient outcomes. The Scientist develops and ensures that appropriate health outcomes research strategies are in place to support Pricing, Reimbursement and Access activities for Lilly products. Across all components of GPORWE (Platforms, Regional HTA groups and Center of Expertise), the Scientist is responsible for the conduct, quality, and integrity of health outcomes studies and scientific disclosures resulting from this research demonstrates and applies in-depth knowledge, understanding, and evaluation of clinical, economic, and/or patient reported outcomes methodologies. The Scientist effectively communicates health outcomes findings and concepts to internal and external business partners and takes a leadership role in the dissemination of health outcomes research findings to the scientific community. In addition, the Scientist provides health outcomes scientific leadership and effective teamwork in cross-functional initiatives.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF JOB
Environmental Awareness (10%)
- Establishes and maintains a broad network of contacts within the health care sector, pharmaceutical industry, health technology assessment agencies, and academia in Canada & Europe.
- Maintains awareness of significant developments in the HTA field, including current health outcomes methodologies and applications for Alzheimer disease. The Scientist disseminates information about significant developments by providing accurate and understandable interpretations of these developments.
- Anticipates and evaluates future market needs and trends for health outcomes information within the health care environments in Canada & Europe.
- Maintains a presence and relationship with the research community related to Alzheimer disease
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge and understanding of economic evaluation methodologies and provides accurate interpretations of findings.
- Demonstrates understanding of the cross-functional nature of drug development and post-marketing support to inform Alzheimer-specific health outcomes strategy.
- Influences the internal and external environment and environmental factors that shape and impact health outcomes.
- Develops and oversees global health outcomes research strategy for compounds in the Lilly portfolio for Alzheimer disease.
- Influences and supports health outcomes research strategy in order to achieve appropriate access for Lilly products in Alzheimer.
- Adapts and utilizes information to maximize interactions with internal and external customers.
- Provides strategic direction to address complex health outcomes challenges.
- Formulates or significantly contributes to health outcomes strategies for multiple projects in Canada & Europe.
- Partners with other functions (e.g. global/local PRA, brand teams, market planning, clinical research, corporate affairs, market research, medical information, regulatory, statistics, strategic pricing, etc.) to deliver collaborative work products (e.g., clinical protocols, label language, statistical analysis plan, etc.) that align the health outcomes strategy with overall brand strategy.
Study Development (35%)
- Develops specific Global Health Outcomes research programs for Alzheimer compounds across the development and commercialization lifecycle, as appropriate for access for Lilly’s Alzheimer products.
- Ensures quality standards and performance standards for Alzheimer research projects are realistic and attained, and studies are in conformance with the Principles of Medical Research.
- Applies and seeks technical expertise to conduct scientific research in the health outcomes field.
- Technical expertise may include scope or depth to conducting statistical analysis, economic models, clinical trials, PRO instrument development, observational/epidemiologic research, and health technology or other outcome assessment for Alzheimer disease.
- Ensures research is designed within the scope of the defined Alzheimer product plan and is developed to identify and optimize appropriate reimbursement and access.
- Solves difficult health outcomes issues associated with registration, pricing, reimbursement, and access initiatives through appropriate application of Alzheimer disease state knowledge and research methods.
Project Management (10%)
- Ensures health outcomes program/process of study research agenda budgets are realistic, attained on time, and on budget.
- Effectively communicates status of projects to management and key business partners to keep them informed of project status, budget implications, etc.
- Manages delivery and prioritization of research tools or dossiers, coordinated as appropriate with Project Management/Operations personnel, and with key partners and vendors to efficiently produce high quality results
- Maintain awareness of, and coordinate as appropriate, research efforts among affiliates and the GHO platforms and Center of Expertise to optimize resource use and make shared learnings easily accessible to all parties involved with Alzheimer disease and research methodology
Information Dissemination (10%)
- Effectively communicates health outcomes information to internal business partners, the scientific community, and customers. Leads dissemination of health outcomes information in appropriate scientific venues via development, preparation, and presentation of abstracts, posters, and manuscripts
- Organizes, prepares, and conducts meetings with key internal and external decision makers.
- Ensures alignment with global/regional cross-functional teams (eg corporate affairs, medical, marketing, regulatory, pricing, etc.).
- Provides health economics/outcomes assessments and recommendations with respect to compounds/products to management and business units
- Actively participates in shared learning opportunities to effectively share knowledge and experience (both positive and negative) of management tools and other learnings with colleagues and peers, locally and internationally.
Organizational Leadership (15%)
- Links technical expertise with business unit knowledge to influence and affect cross-functional initiatives within the Principles of Medical Research framework.
- Establishes and maintains strategic relationships with key internal and external decision makers.
- Effectively influences planning and implementation across the development and commercialization
- Proposes, initiates, and implements improvements within Lilly and in the external HO environment.
- Builds relationships internally and externally that promote learning, obtain results, and strengthen alliances with the health outcomes function.
- Interacts, understands, and advises internal and external business partners with differing expectations and objectives.
- Recruit, develop and manage performance of HO talent, as required by the role.
- An advanced degree, including Ph.D., M.D., or PharmD/Master’s degree with relevant experience in an appropriate discipline (e.g., economics, epidemiology, health administration, health services, medicine, pharmacoeconomics, psychology, statistics, or other relevant sciences) will generally be required, although significant previous training and experience in designing and conducting research and disseminating the results in the areas of health economics, health outcomes, disease management, and/or population health may substitute for the formal degree requirement.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully in a team-oriented/cross-functional environment.
- The ability to think and act globally with a customer focus and a solution orientation.
- The ability to travel domestically and to international locations.
- Knowledge and experience of health care systems in Canada & Europe.
- Understanding of and experience with clinical settings and clinical research.
- Technical and analytic capabilities in the areas of economic modeling, economic evaluation, cost-effectiveness evaluation, burden of disease, epidemiology, statistics, health care policy etc.
- The ability to influence individuals.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Surrey, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-24