OverviewEdmonton Public Library EPL Outreach Worker – Enterprise Square Branch Full Time in Edmonton, AB
Edmonton Public Library
Branch Edmonton AB CA
EPL Outreach Worker – Enterprise Square Branch
Registration with the Alberta College of Social Workers. If you are passionate about making a real difference in the community, the Edmonton Public Library has…
If you are passionate about making a real difference in the community, the Edmonton Public Library has an incredible opportunity for you. As an Outreach Worker, you will work with community members and agencies to address the systemic issues and needs faced by some of the at-risk library visitors who spend time in and around the Enterprise Square and other designated EPL branches and whose unmet needs have, on occasion, led to challenging behaviors. Community-building through roving service to connect with vulnerable or at risk individuals within the library is also a focus.
Our Outreach Workers have two main purposes. Firstly, they work with individuals who have mental health, addictions, housing and exclusion issues to provide them with information, support referrals, and advocacy to assist them in making positive changes in their lives. Secondly, they serve as a resource to managers and library staff, supporting them to work effectively with challenging library visitors for the purpose of delivering quality customer service and library programs.
- Social Work degree from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Registration with the Alberta College of Social Workers.
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience.
- Experience with de-escalation techniques and non-violent intervention is preferred.
- Experience and proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office programs.
What do you need to bring to this position?
- Ability to build relationships with community agencies and target population (e.g. youth in crisis, individuals with mental illness or addictions) in a non-judgmental way.
- Knowledge of resources available in the community.
- Proven ability to work in a respectful and client-focused manner.
- Effective problem solving skills, and ability to exercise reasonable and professional judgment.
- Work with initiative, commitment and enthusiasm.
- Superior communication, interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Great attention to detail and excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team as well as independently.
- Ability to effectively manage change and stress.
- Absolute commitment to a harm reduction approach.
Note: Satisfactory background screening is required for this position, which includes a Criminal Record Check/Police Information Check.
Who we are:
The secret ingredient for making EPL a magical place is no secret at all; in fact, it
‘s very simple: We share/ We share stories, ideas and experiences. We share with our customers, our communities and ourselves. we are Edmonton’s largest lender of all manner of information and entertainment. Pay Band: $32.02 – $40.88 per hour *Approximately $58,509 – $74,687 per annum based on a 35 hour work week.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Posted on: 2017-01-24