E-Comm 9-1-1 | Emergency Communications for British Columbia Incorporated Communications Coordinator Contract in Vancouver, BC
E-Comm 9-1-1 | Emergency Communications for British Columbia Incorporated
Branch Vancouver BC CA
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE*. Provide communication services and support to all departments across the organization and develop materials that resonate…
Reporting to the corporate communications manager, the communications coordinator assists with the development and implementation of internal and external communications projects that support E-Comm employees and ensure the company maintains a positive profile with its partners and the public.
NATURE AND SCOPE
- Creates publications, internal communications, public education and promotional materials through a variety of desktop publishing applications; assists with the development and execution of public education campaigns; provides editorial services to E-Comm staff and managers including writing, editing and proofreading.
- Researches, writes and edits a variety of communication materials including articles for monthly internal and quarterly external newsletters, bulletins, online content and presentation materials. Oversees production of same. Responsible for maintaining and evolving corporate communication vehicles such as digital kiosks, weekly E-Blasts and internal staff suggestion program.
- Researches, collects and writes content for the E-Comm Intranet site and external website; keeps both sites current and recommends enhancements.
- Conducts research for special projects.
- Monitors and develops content for E-Comm’s social media channels and flags items of interest for response in a timely manner.
- Coordinates production for corporate materials (print and multimedia) including consultation with external suppliers such as graphic designers, photographers, advertisers.
- Participates in monthly department meetings; brings forward topics for team discussion and prepares presentation materials of interest to share with colleagues. Prepares material for all-staff meetings and other internal events.
- Coordinates interviews, prepares background information, writes news releases and answers routine background questions from the media as directed; prepares and makes public presentations on E-Comm and its services; conducts E-Comm tours for invited guests and dignitaries.
- Monitors and collects news coverage items about E-Comm and its related concerns; distributes news coverage items to various audiences, identifies potential areas of issues or crisis management and alerts the appropriate parties.
- Participates in the development of strategic communications projects and tactics.
- Coordinates participation in external industry events and award submissions; manages employee discount program and responds to general public enquiries.
- Organizes corporate and staff events; organizes and participate in community and other special events.
- Responsible for assisting with regular updates to media and external stakeholder contact information.
- Performs other tasks as required (including compilation of presentation packages, media kits, distribution of external materials, typing, media filing).
- Takes photos at both internal and external events.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of a high school diploma plus diploma or degree in communications, public relations, journalism or a related discipline and a minimum of three years’ experience with communications projects or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, materials, techniques and best practices related to internal and external communications.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques related to editing, layout, graphic design and photography.
- Knowledge of media relations and social media practices and techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, and to research and write a variety of materials.
- Ability to participate in the development of communications plans and strategies, and to plan, recommend, implement and evaluate assigned communications projects.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, oversee and deliver multiple, simultaneous projects.
- Ability to coordinate event planning.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of E-Comm stakeholders, including staff and the public.
- Skill in the use of software applications used in the work, including Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, WordPress and Prezi.
- Excellent written communication skills, editing skills, and capacity to tailor information for various internal and external audiences.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to distil complex technical and operational issues into plain language.
- Skill in the use of software applications used in the work such as InDesign, Photoshop and WordPress.
- Familiarity with principles of photography and camera experience
- Experience with video editing tools and Prezi
- Experience with social media monitoring/analytics and developing strategies to identify, plan and execute social media goals.
- Ability to work independently, within tight deadlines and with close attention to detail.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and good relationship-building skills.
- A minimum three years’ direct communications experience.
- Experience working within a complex corporate or municipal/provincial government environment.
- Experience with managing high-profile reputational, service, and stakeholder-related issues.
- Corporate media relations experience supporting senior executives, spokespeople, and key stakeholders.
- Experience with SharePoint.
- Public speaking.
- Bilingual [French or Cantonese in addition to English].
YOUR FUTURE TEAM
- E-Comm’s purpose is to help save lives and protect property. By joining our team, you’ll have a chance to be a part of E-Comm’s vision of safer communities and contribute to the safety of British Columbians. You’ll support and champion the work of 9-1-1 call-takers, dispatchers and technology personnel who also work hard to keep first responders safe.
- The Communications Coordinator will work with our team on a wide-range of public safety and communication initiatives, including keeping staff and stakeholders updated on E-Comm activities and services. You will have a mix of independent and team projects.
- The perfect fit for us is someone who has strong attention to detail, is “hands on,” proactive and loves to dig into projects. You have many good ideas and aren’t shy about sharing them. You are service-oriented and have a great sense of humour. We take our work seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We love to laugh and are comfortable with friendly banter. Bonus points if you like breakfast for lunch, sushi and music as much as we do. This is a fast-paced environment and we will rise to the occasion together. Working in public safety is meaningful work and we take a lot of pride in that.
- We wrote this together and we hope you will contact us if you see yourself as part of the team.
YOUR FUTURE PROJECTS
Working in public safety means helping to save lives and protect property. Here’s a sample of things we do and are working on:
- Provide communication services and support to all departments across the organization and develop materials that resonate with staff.
- Internal and external communication support for police and fire dispatch agency transitions and new radio partnerships.
- Communication support for rollout of new consolidated dispatch centre on Vancouver Island.
- Monitoring and developing content to post to E-Comm’s social media channels and helping evolve the company’s online presence.
- Execution of public education/media campaigns in support of important public safety messages related to the proper use of the 9-1-1 system.
- Communication support for public education initiatives related to the evolution of Next Generation 9-1-1.
- Creating content and maintaining/updating E-Comm’s corporate website and internal intranet site.
- Coordination of a variety of internal and external events including 9-1-1 Awareness Week and E-Comm’s Annual General Meeting.
- Public education efforts that include representing E-Comm at a variety of community and public safety industry events. Making presentations about E-Comm and how 9-1-1 works for local community organizations.
- As a condition of engagement and continued employment at E-Comm, you must acquire and maintain the required Security Clearance applicable to your respective position(s).
- This is a Temporary Full-Time position.
NUMBER OF POSITIONS
- A cover-letter is required . Please submit your cover-letter and resume in a single combined document.
- We are unable to accept in-person, paper, or fax submissions.
- We are unable to accept in-person, paper, or fax submissions.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $30.21 to $31.48 /hour
- High school or equivalent