E-Comm 9-1-1 | Emergency Communications for British Columbia Incorporated Accountant (Full-Time Permanent) Full Time in Vancouver, BC
E-Comm 9-1-1 | Emergency Communications for British Columbia Incorporated
Branch Vancouver BC CA
Accountant (Full-Time Permanent)
As a condition of engagement, upon a successful offer of employment being extended, the candidate will also be required to pass a Vancouver Police Department …
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting & Payroll, the Accountant is responsible for the overall accuracy and timely processing of accounting transactions. The Accountant also assists in the preparation of periodic management reports, conducts qualitative and financial analysis on various assigned topics and provides direction to accounting clerical staff as required.
NATURE AND SCOPE
- Assists in the maintenance of the general ledger; monitors and analyzes a variety of accounts to ensure correct balances and appropriate allocation; performs reconciliations of balance sheet accounts; reviews and approves reconciliations of sub-accounts, journal entries, and entries to the general ledger.
- Reviews and approves for completion all invoicing, account postings, accruals and allocations and ensures the closing of accounting periods in a timely manner.
- Provides guidance and direction to accounting clerical staff as required.
- Assists in the preparation of year-end accounting and financial reports, records and working papers.
- Coordinates with payroll to ensure accurate and timely entry of payroll and benefit information into the accounting system.
- Prepares and/or reconciles GST and provincial tax remittances; maintains currency with taxation issues.
- Assists in departmental activities such as review of processes, upgrades to systems, assistance in budget and year-end preparations.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts; provides information and assistance regarding a variety of matters related to the work.
- Performs related work as required.
EDUCATION TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of the 4th year of a professional accounting program plus considerable related experience in a computerized accounting environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, rules and regulations applicable to accounting department activities and fund accounting.
- Knowledge of the processes and procedures governing accounting transactions.
- Sound knowledge of computerized operations applicable to the work.
- Ability to review and approve account reconciliations, working papers and entries to the general ledger.
- Ability to maintain the general ledger and to assist in the preparation of a variety of year-end documents.
- Ability to supervise the preparation and maintenance of accounting records and to prepare related reports.
- Ability to provide direction to accounting clerical staff.
- Ability to carry out a variety of accounting duties independently and to organize and complete work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Displays honesty, integrity and ethical conduct at all times.
- Respectfully deals with all internal and external clients at all times.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making quick and accurate decisions.
- Displays exceptional prioritizing and multi-tasking skills in a priority driven environment.
- Commitment to professionalism and excellence in customer service.
- Exhibits outstanding teamwork skills and is committed to goals and successes through collaboration and cooperation.
- Is interested in a long term career at E-Comm.
WHAT WE OFFER THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- Meaningful Work – work with a sense of purpose, supporting the public and first-responders across B.C.
- Work-Life Balance – Eligibility to participate in our Accumulated Time-Off [ATO] Program
- Pension – in this day and age, there aren’t too many employers who can offer you one of these!
- Employee Savings Plan – a percentage of your earnings matched by the employer, direct to a savings account
- Career Growth and Advancement – you can take your career at E-Comm in multiple directions in our Finance Department , or across other internal departments.
- Technology – exposure to unique state-of-the-art systems and enterprise-level technology.
- As a condition of engagement, upon a successful offer of employment being extended, the candidate will also be required to pass a Vancouver Police Department [VPD] Enhanced Security Police Clearance [ESC], carried out by the VPD, facilitated by E-Comm 911.
- While the names of these clearances may resemble those granted through Provincial and Federal Government authorities [ie: GPEB, Correctional Service, Facility Access Passes (for Land, Sea, and Air terminals), PWGSC, Transportation Security Clearance (TSC) Programs for Aviation and Marine, Treasury Board, and other volunteer and/or vocational-based security clearances required for community-based policing offices and organizations opting into the Criminal Records Review Program], they do differ significantly.
- The process consists of, in part a ten-year employment and detailed personal background check, a credit check, a review of police and security-related databases, a criminal records check, a lifestyle questionnaire which may be separate, or form part of a comprehensive interview with police, which may generate further follow-up investigation and/or a polygraph.
- The minimum residency in Canada to qualify for this position, as established by our law enforcement partner agencies, is five  years and longer.
- To qualify for this process, a candidate may either be a Canadian Permanent Resident [PR] or Canadian Citizens, and must have resided in Canada for at least the last five  years.
- We regret any candidates under Student , Visitor , or Work Visas are not eligible for consideration.
- Minimum five  years’ experience in a Junior or Intermediate Accountant Role.
- Exceptional hands-on experience in cost allocation, budget and accrual process(es)
- Strong experience related to variance analysis
- Good knowledge of AP coding, and AR billing-related work
- Proficiency in MS Great Plains
- Previous experience dealing with complex accounting across an organization that holds several companies or lines of business
- Hands-on previous work experience dealing with PSAB or NFP accounting rules
HOURS OF WORK
- Monday through Friday, 40-hour work week
- 4350 Still Creek Drive, Burnaby, BC
- This is a Regular Full-Time [RFT] position
- PG 22
- $31.20 to $36.72 per hour [2015 rates]
NUMBER OF POSITIONS
- ~Monday 05 October 2015 or earlier
HOW TO APPLY
- To simplify the application process, you may email your resume in .doc or .docx [Microsoft Word Format preferred] directly with the subject line: Accountant (#206-64-MH9898)
- Please ensure that all key contact information [name, address, phone, etc.] is contained within the body of your resume and not in the headers and footers as it usually won’t be captured or “scrubbed” by most applicant tracking systems [and sometimes including our own].
- No cover-letter is required. We are unable to accept in-person, paper, or fax submissions.
Local candidates only:
Required license or certification:
- Completion of the 4th year of a professional accounting program
- High school or equivalent