OverviewDurham Family Court Clinic Enhanced Youth Outreach Worker Contract in Pickering, ON
Durham Family Court Clinic
Branch Pickering ON CA
Enhanced Youth Outreach Worker
Demonstrated ability delivering intensive, short-term counselling and support services to youth in crisis, helping them to address their specific challenges,…
Durham Family Court Clinic, an innovative, progressive charitable organization that is dedicated to fostering a healthy & safe community by enhancing & supporting the wellbeing of children, youth & families who have, or may have, involvement with the legal system, is seeking to fill the position of:
ENHANCED YOUTH OUTREACH WORKER (EYOW)
Full-time Position (one year contract)
The provincial Youth Outreach Worker Program supports at-risk and high-risk youth and their families to better navigate and connect with services and pro-social opportunities in their communities to improve youth outcomes.
Enhanced Youth Outreach Workers work as a part of the Youth Outreach Worker team to expand the continuum of services of the Program by providing intensive one-on-one support to high-risk youth ages 12 to 21 and their families to prevent youth from further risk/violence. High-risk youth are youth who may be experiencing challenges related to mental health, addictions, trauma, relationship violence, human/sex trafficking and/or may be involved in criminal activities; and who have been involved in specific incidents or conflicts (fight at school, interaction with the police, sibling in conflict with the law) that increase their risks.
This position complements the community outreach, prevention and intervention work undertaken by Youth Outreach Workers to build neighbourhood and community capacity to engage and serve youth better. The EYOW services are offered in the Ajax, Pickering and Uxbridge communities.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Familiarity with the specialized needs of youth who may be experiencing challenges related to mental health, addictions, trauma, relationship violence, human/sex trafficking and/or may be involved in criminal activities;
- Demonstrated ability delivering intensive, short-term counselling and support services to youth in crisis, helping them to address their specific challenges, and referring and supporting them to access required services;
- Demonstrated ability to support family members of high-risk youth, and refer them to required services;
- Skill in managing the case plans of multiple, high-risk youth clients and their families;
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the life experiences and diverse needs, identities and cultural backgrounds of at-risk and high-risk youth in underserved communities;
- Knowledge of the community including knowledge of local programs and services to refer high-risk youth, such as mental health and counselling supports;
- Skill in establishing trusting relationships with youth;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively and negotiate effectively with a range of community groups and service providers across sectors;
- Second language an asset; and
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends as needed.
- Bachelor of Social Work and relevant experience, or Masters of Social Work, Counselling Psychology or equivalent, and eligible for certification / membership in a registered professional association for practitioners in clinical therapy.
- Minimum of three (3) years work experience.
- Experience working with youth is preferred.
- A valid G licence with a clean driving record and a reliable vehicle with a minimum of $2 million liability insurance.
If you are interested in joining the dynamic team of highly qualified professionals at DFCC, who are dedicated to fostering a healthy, hopeful and safe community, please submit cover letter and resumé by Thursday, May 26, 2016.
Durham Family Court Clinic (DFCC) is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity, inclusivity and accessibility in employment and welcomes applications from all qualified persons.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted . DFCC will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process. If contacted for an interview, please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Pickering, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-05-19