OverviewDouglas College Faculty Support and Services Assistant Part Time in New Westminster, BC
Branch New Westminster BC CA
Faculty Support and Services Assistant
New Westminster, BC
Demonstrated ability to communicate courteously and effectively in writing, in person or on the telephone with staff, faculty, administrators, students, and the…
To provide direct administrative support to the Faculty of Health Sciences by assisting with a variety of reception, clerical, and administrative duties. Provides exceptional client-centered service on a consistent basis to all stakeholder groups.
1. Provides administrative and clerical support to the Faculty of Health Sciences.
a. handles all telephone calls, answering questions, providing information, making referrals and taking messages regarding designated Health Sciences programs;
b. greets and provides information to visitors, determines appropriate actions and makes appropriate referrals;
c. provides program and procedural information and assistance to faculty and students;
2. Assists with student support and program promotion
a. assists students with admission process, notifying applicants of program/registration deadlines for designated programs;
b. follows up with applicants regarding outstanding requirements, notifies applicants to complete testing and advises students regarding status of applications;
c. diffuses situations with students who are agitated and distressed, referring to the appropriate Coordinator(s)/Director/Administrative Officer, as needed;
d. problem solves registration issues;
e. monitors program wait list and communicates with Admissions Officer to ensure full capacity each term;
f. participates in regular meetings with Registrar’s Office representatives to ensure currency of admission requirements;
g. attends local career fairs, as needed;
h. distributes brochures to provincial high schools, local agencies and local libraries;
i. provides waivers for students under the direction of coordinator(s);
3. Produces a variety of documents and correspondence for internal and/or external distribution.
a. composes and prepares routine correspondence;
b. formats and produces memos, letters, reports, forms, course outlines, manuals, minutes, etc. from drafts or notes;
c. compiles information for reports;
4. Provides administrative, procedural and logistical support for the Faculty of Health Sciences.
a. in collaboration with Coordinators, assists with the advisory committee meetings including scheduling, minute taking, agendas and letters of appreciation;
b. books rooms and catering for a variety of activities;
c. provides clerical support to the clinical/practicum placement process, as required;
d. supports program evaluation process through the retrieval and processing of selected data;
e. compiles and reviews student files for completeness, informs coordinators of information gaps;
f. performs a variety of duties in support of special projects assigned by the Administrative Officer;
g. after consultation with Coordinators, updates program admission information on the College website and in program brochures;
h. orders students and faculty name tags and directs payment to the correct cost centre;
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
a. orders and receives supplies;
b. maintains inventory of forms and supplies;
c. ensures photocopy and mail rooms are adequately stocked and orderly;
d. updates mailboxes and office nameplates for faculty and staff;
e. assists with Blackboard maintenance, including adding/removing faculty and students, as appropriate;
f. posts announcements and messages on Blackboard;
g. issues parking passes and maintains parking pass system;
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need:
1. Good working knowledge of English (written and verbal).
2. Minimum of two years related work experience or equivalent combination of office administration education and experience.
3. Good working knowledge of College policies and procedures.
4. Demonstrated ability to keyboard 55 wpm accurately and operate standard office equipment such as data entry terminals, word processors, and copiers.
5. Demonstrated proficiency in the use of standard computer software applications including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases. Experience with Learning Management Systems is preferred.
6. Demonstrated ability to communicate courteously and effectively in writing, in person or on the telephone with staff, faculty, administrators, students, and the public as well as maintain a good working relationship with other employees.
7. Demonstrated ability to record minutes, compose correspondence, and create promotional materials with an emphasis on grammar, punctuation and writing.
8. Ability to work independently under minimum supervision to achieve assigned deadlines; ability to independently establish priorities for work assigned.
Link to Full Position Profile:
This temporary part-time position is available for the period of February 6, 2017 to April 28, 2017. Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Occasional travel between campuses may be required.
Grade or Pay Level:
S – Pay Level 8
Quicklink for Posting:
End Date (if applicable):
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: New Westminster, BC, CA
Posted on: 2017-01-24