OverviewDepartment of Transportation and Works Chief Bridge Engineer Temporary in St. John’s, NL
Department of Transportation and Works
Branch St. John’s NL CA
Chief Bridge Engineer
St. John’s, NL
Required to be accessible to address issues on an emergency basis with respect to structural concerns arising from natural events and unexpected situations….
The Bridge Section provides designs for new, replacement and rehabilitated bridges as well as provides technical support to district staff regarding bridge and marine structures construction and maintenance. Reporting to the Assistant Deputy Minister, this position is accountable for engineering needed to produce and maintain safe but economical management of the bridge and wharf inventory throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. Specific accountabilities include directing the work of bridge engineers, technicians and consultants ensuring the technical quality of work; task management/technical lead on complex projects; monitoring the construction and ensuring approval and technical direction is appropriate and done to provide sound, economical bridges and wharves; ensuring the Bridge Management System (BMS) is current and up to date; cost estimating and monitoring of budget as projects are delivered in the Provincial Roads Program to ensure allocation for bridge and marine facilities is not over encumbered; prepares non-technical briefings, presentations, business cases as well as technical and economic feasibility reports of infrastructure requirements; collaborating and communicating with inter-departmental teams, industry stakeholders and cross Canada committees; ensures frequent requests for bridge load evaluation are processed timely; design calculations; mentoring and developing the structural discipline group; leads and oversees specification updates on structural sections of the Provincial Highway Specification Book including drawings, details and written specifications; identify continuing education and technology needs of the structural section; promote professional development and expertise by encouraging student engagement, presentations, technical conference and committee participation; other related duties as required.
Merit Criteria (What is this?) Screening Criteria
Conditions of Employment (What is this?) Conditions of
Conditions of Acceptance
For more information about this opportunity please call Joe Duford, Assistant Deputy Minister of Transportation, Transportation Branch, at (709) 729-0648.
- The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador values diversity in the work place and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Applications should be received before the close of business on the closing date – late applications with explanation may be accepted.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application that demonstrates the required merit criteria.
- Applications that do not clearly demonstrate the required criteria will be screened-out.
- All applications must contain accurate contact information, including current mailing address, email address and phone number.
- This competition may be used to fill future similar vacancies with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: St. John's, NL, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-10