OverviewDepartment of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal HIGHWAY WORKER – DIVISION CREWPERSON (SUMMER WORKS) (LIVERPOOL) Temporary in Liverpool, NS
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
Branch Liverpool NS CA
HIGHWAY WORKER – DIVISION CREWPERSON (SUMMER WORKS) (LIVERPOOL)
Knowledge of surveying, road construction, building structures, OH&S Act and Regulations and the ability to operate small power tools/portable equipment would…
DIVISION CREWPERSON (SUMMER WORKS)
Under Article 13 of the Collective Agreement between the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal and the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 1867, the following opportunity is being posted:
LOCATION: Liverpool – Zone 30
WORK GROUP: Highway Worker
POSITION: Division Crewperson [Summer Maintenance Works Period]
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: Two (2)
RATE OF PAY: $18.01 per hour
POSTING DATE: July 8, 2016
CLOSING DATE: July 22, 2016 at 4:30 pm
COMPETITION NUMBER: CUPE-16316MT-CB
Please quote the competition number as noted above on your application.
Under the general supervision of the Operations Supervisor(s) and/or Supervisor of Highway Maintenance, the Division Crewperson completes any of the following combination of duties in the maintenance, repair, and rehabilitation or construction process of the Department’s road infrastructure including: Traffic Control, Culverts/Ditching, Steel/Wooden Bridges, Road Surface Maintenance, Traffic Control Devices, Guardrails, Bush Cutting, Property/General Maintenance, or other related duties as identified by the Supervisor(s).
A Summer Works Period position, is a twenty-one (21) week position, commencing the 3rd Monday in May of each year.
Grade 10 plus one (1) year related experience; or an acceptable equivalent of education and experience may be considered. Must be able to read and write to complete Department documents and forms, and for reviewing of policies. The following training is considered an asset: Traffic Control Person, Temporary Workplace Signage, First Aid/CPR, WHMIS, or other construction-related training. Knowledge of surveying, road construction, building structures, OH&S Act and Regulations and the ability to operate small power tools/portable equipment would be an asset. The successful applicant must be organized and have the ability to work with limited supervision. Must exhibit good judgment, able to deal with the public and work as part of a team.
This position is labour intensive requiring physical strength, dexterity and the ability to work in confined spaces or on an elevated site. Traffic Control duties require the ability to stand in one place for long periods of time while maintaining continuous mental concentration. Work is performed in all weather conditions, including occasional exposure to smoke and fumes from mechanical equipment.
Applicants may choose to apply to this competition either online or by hard copy. To submit a hard copy of your application, please submit a resume which clearly demonstrates how you meet the qualifications of the position, including copies of any required certifications and/or training to: Jane Myalls, in person to 449 Jubilee Road, Bridgewater NS B4V 6W9, by mail to PO Box 409 Bridgewater, NS B4V 2X6, or by fax to (902) 543-5596 , no later than 4:30pm on the closing date.
To apply online, please follow the instructions at the bottom of the posting. Please note: supporting documents cannot be submitted online. If you wish to apply online, you must submit hard copies of your supporting documents as described above no later than 4:30 PM on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current CUPE local 1867 employees with a date of seniority. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to perform duties as necessary within their zone.
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible People, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups you are encouraged to self-identify on your covering letter or your resume.
To Apply Online:
• Please ensure that you demonstrate in your application how you meet the above qualifications. In your cover letter, ensure that you identify the competition number, position, and zone you are applying for.
• To apply for this position, simply click on the “Apply Now” button. To better serve you, we are using for this competition a user-friendly on-line application system through Career Beacon. Online applications are preferred and will provide some benefits for you, as outlined below.
• If you are unable to apply using this online system , please submit your application, or apply either in person, by fax, or by mail as listed above no later than 4:30pm on the closing date.
• First time users to this on-line application system simply need to complete a quick basic registration and receive a username and password, which you will receive by email right away. (If you do not receive the email, please check your junk mail folder to ensure that it did not get directed there by mistake.) Once registered, you will be able to upload your resume and cover letter in seconds or you can create them using the editor option in the system. Clicking on the “Apply Now” button, will bring you to the registration or sign on screen. If you encounter any difficulties with your registration, simply call 1-888-878-7637 for assistance (Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30).
• Benefits of applying online – The system will allow us to send email messages to you to keep you informed of the status of your application and the competition. You may also have the opportunity to respond to some questions to clarify how you meet the qualifications for the position. In addition, you can store your application on the system and access a copy of it as well as the posting at a later date if needed.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Liverpool, NS, CA
Posted on: 2016-07-09