OverviewDepartment of Labour and Advanced Education Clerk 4 (Temporary) (Halifax) Temporary in Halifax, NS
Department of Labour and Advanced Education
Branch Halifax NS CA
Clerk 4 (Temporary) (Halifax)
Grade 11 plus five (5) years customer service experience or an acceptable combination of training and experience is required….
Please quote Competition # LAE1076SI
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify, on your application form, cover letter, or on your resume.
This is a temporary position with an anticipated end date of September 30, 2016.
Reporting to the Manager, Funding and Program Automation, the Senior Assessor serves as a primary resource to management and the Assessing team. The Senior Assessor also tests the Student Assistance Management System (SAMS) to ensure compliance and responsiveness with business needs under federal and provincial guidelines. S/he provides student funding information and inquiry services to the public and provides day to day supervision of operational frontline activities of the Student Loan Program; provides specialized knowledge, expertise and functional guidance to Assessors in the administration of Canada Student Loan and Nova Scotia Student Loan policies. S/he participates in hands-on assessment activities; monitors progress of loan applications; reviews and resolves complex issues, concerns or procedural errors; develops, recommends and implements operational procedures; assists in managing work flows and schedules; and provides operational feedback/input into divisional policy development and decision-making pertaining to student loan program administration.
Grade 11 plus five (5) years customer service experience or an acceptable combination of training and experience is required. Experience in interpreting and applying terms of legislation, regulations and policies is desirable. This position requires extensive knowledge of the programs and services provided by the Labour and Advanced Education. In particular, knowledge of the post-secondary system and the Private Career College system as well as the Canada Student Loans and Nova Scotia Student Loans Program regulations, policies and procedures. This position requires technical competence in an automated environment and an advanced, in-depth technical and working knowledge of the SAMS (Student Assistance Management System) and its associated challenges. Mathematical skills, excellent problem-solving skills, ability to adapt to change and to work both independently and within a team environment are critical for success in this position. Requires a combination of diplomatic and interpersonal skills along with a client-centered focus and ability to communicate with all levels of staff, both within the department, with external stakeholders and the general public.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer or will result in termination of your employment.
Pay Grade: CL 22
Salary Range: $43,986 – $48,652
Closing Date: May 31, 2016
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union. Applicants applying for this opportunity must clearly indicate in their covering letter or resume that he/she is currently a Nova Scotia Government Civil Service Employee and a member of the NSGEU and include their Employee ID. Failure to do so means that your application will not be given first consideration and will only be included if external applications are pursued. Your Employee Self-Serve access will allow you to confirm what your employment status and ID number are prior to applying for this restricted position.
External applicants and current casual Nova Scotia Government employees will only be considered if there are no qualified Nova Scotia Government Civil Service NSGEU bargaining unit candidates.
• Please demonstrate in your application how you meet the above qualifications. In your cover letter identify the competition number, position and department.
• Please ensure that your cover letter and resume are combined into one document.
• To apply for this position, simply click on the “Apply Online Now” button. To serve you better, we are using a user-friendly on-line application system through Career Beacon. Online applications are required and will provide benefits for you, as outlined below. All submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date.
• First time users to this on-line application system simply need to complete a quick basic registration to receive a username and password. If an email is not immediately received, please check your junk mail folder to ensure that it did not get directed there. Once registered, you will be able to upload your resume and cover letter in seconds or create them using the editor option in the system. Clicking on the “Apply Online Now” button will bring you to the registration or sign on screen. If you encounter any difficulties with your registration or technical issues, simply call 1-888-878-7637 for assistance (Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30).
• Benefits of applying online – The system will allow us to send an immediate confirmation email that your application was received. In addition, you can store your application on the system and access a copy of it as well as the posting at a later date if needed.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Posted on: 2016-05-19