OverviewDepartment of Community Services Social Worker 1(A)-(B)-2 (Temporary) (Antigonish) Temporary in Antigonish, NS
Department of Community Services
Branch Antigonish NS CA
Social Worker 1(A)-(B)-2 (Temporary) (Antigonish)
The Social Worker provides a wide variety of professional child welfare services which may include protection services for children;…
Please quote Competition # DCS2400RTRP
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify, on your application form, cover letter, or on your resume.
This is a temporary appointment with an expected end date of July 3, 2017.
The Social Worker provides a wide variety of professional child welfare services which may include protection services for children; development, coordination, and implementation of foster care and adoption services; and planning and supervision of children in permanent care and custody. Ensuring the safety and well-being of children, the social worker intervenes under the Children and Family Services Act to protect children from abuse or neglect; provides on-going services to parents and children, and assesses families for placement of children.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor of Social Work (child welfare experience will be considered an asset) or be a Registered Social Worker who is currently classified and practicing as a Social Worker in the field of child welfare. The candidate must be eligible for registration with the Nova Scotia Association of Social workers. A good knowledge of child development, family functioning, child abuse and neglect, as well as effective intervention strategies with individuals and families. Experience with the Children and Family Service Act is a definite asset. Candidates must be able to travel and respond to clients in various locations.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer or will result in termination of your employment.
Pay Grade: PR 08 – PR 14
Salary Range: $24.32 – $37.69 per hour
Closing Date: November 11, 2016
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union. Applicants applying for this opportunity must clearly indicate in their covering letter or resume that he/she is currently a Nova Scotia Government Civil Service Employee and a member of the NSGEU and include their Employee ID. Failure to do so means that your application will not be given first consideration and will only be included if external applications are pursued. Your Employee Self-Serve access will allow you to confirm what your employment status and ID number are prior to applying for this restricted position.
External applicants and current casual Nova Scotia Government employees will only be considered if there are no qualified Nova Scotia Government Civil Service NSGEU bargaining unit candidates.
• Please demonstrate in your application how you meet the above qualifications. In your cover letter identify the competition number, position and department.
• Please ensure that your cover letter and resume are combined into one document .
• To apply for this position , simply click on the “ Apply Online Now” button. To serve you better, we are using a user-friendly on-line application system through Career Beacon. Online applications are required and will provide benefits for you, as outlined below. All submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date.
• First time users to this on-line application system simply need to complete a quick basic registration to receive a username and password. If an email is not immediately received, please check your junk mail folder to ensure that it did not get directed there. Once registered, you will be able to upload your resume and cover letter in seconds or create them using the editor option in the system. Clicking on the “Apply Online Now” button will bring you to the registration or sign on screen. If you encounter any difficulties with your registration or technical issues , simply call 1-888-878-7637 for assistance (Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30).
• Benefits of applying online – The system will allow us to send an immediate confirmation email that your application was received. In addition, you can store your application on the system and access a copy of it as well as the posting at a later date if needed.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Antigonish, NS, CA
Posted on: 2016-10-30