OverviewDepartment of Community Services Counsellor 1-2 AB (Family Support Worker) (TEMP) (Halifax) Temporary in Halifax, NS
Department of Community Services
Branch Halifax NS CA
Counsellor 1-2 AB (Family Support Worker) (TEMP) (Halifax)
The Family Support Worker plays an enabling and supportive role with the family and youth, assisting with the assessment of client’s needs, developing a case…
Please quote Competition #15-DCS0119SR-CB
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify, on your application form, cover letter, or on your resume.
The Family Support Worker (Child Welfare) provides families with the knowledge and fosters attitudes that are essential to home management, child rearing, health maintenance and independent family functioning. The Family Support Worker plays an enabling and supportive role with the family and youth, assisting with the assessment of client’s needs, developing a case plan for their work with the client, counselling and education of parents to promote enhanced child management and life skills such as self-esteem, parenting, child development, communication, anger management, problem solving, household management, safety and nutrition.
Grade 12 plus completion of a diploma in a related area or equivalent combination of training and experience. A sound knowledge of physical, psychological and emotional needs of a family unit. An ability to work independently or in a team environment with other care providers in the total care plan.
Knowledge of normal/abnormal child development and financial management. Effective communication skills (oral & written) and the ability to facilitate groups. Preference will be given to applicants with previous Child Welfare experience.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer or will result in termination of your employment.
Pay Grade: TE 13-21
Salary Range: $1,370.33-2,157.16 (bi-weekly)
Closing Date: October 6, 2015
Note : This is a Temporary opportunity with an anticipated end date of February 2, 2016
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union. Applicants applying for this opportunity must clearly indicate in their covering letter or resume that he/she is currently a Nova Scotia Government Civil Service Employee and a member of the NSGEU and include their Employee ID. Failure to do so means that your application will not be given first consideration and will only be included if external applications are pursued. Your Employee Self-Serve access will allow you to confirm what your employment status and ID number are prior to applying for this restricted position.
External applicants and current casual Nova Scotia Government employees will only be considered if there are no qualified Nova Scotia Government Civil Service NSGEU bargaining unit candidates.
- Please demonstrate in your application how you meet the above qualifications. In your cover letter identify the competition number, position and department.
- To apply for this position , simply click on the “Apply Online Now” button. To serve you better, we are using a user-friendly on-line application system through Career Beacon. Online applications are required and will provide benefits for you, as outlined below. All submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date.
- First time users to this on-line application system simply need to complete a quick basic registration to receive a username and password. If an email is not immediately received, please check your junk mail folder to ensure that it did not get directed there. Once registered, you will be able to upload your resume and cover letter in seconds or create them using the editor option in the system. Clicking on the “Apply Online Now” button will bring you to the registration or sign on screen. If you encounter any difficulties with your registration or technical issues , simply call 1-888-878-7637 for assistance (Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30).
- If after speaking with Career Beacon you are still unable to apply using this online system (check with your local library or CAP (Community Access Program www.nscap.ca) site for free computer/internet access), please call (902) 424-4081 to make other arrangements to submit your application. It is important that you contact us prior to the closing date
- Benefits of applying online – The system will allow us to send an immediate confirmation email that your application was received. In addition, you can store your application on the system and access a copy of it as well as the posting at a later date if needed.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-22