OverviewCraft Council of BC Assistant Manager/Sales Associate, Crafthouse Granville Island Contract in Lower Mainland, BC
Craft Council of BC
Branch Lower Mainland BC CA
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate, Crafthouse Granville Island
Lower Mainland, BC
Experience with POS systems, MS Word, database programs. The Assistant Manager must be available to work at least 3 weekends (including Fridays) a month and…
As the provincial service organization for the craft sector, the Craft Council of BC works to support all stages of artistic practice in the craft sector; creates opportunities for artists to exhibit, sell and produce art; provides a voice for artists and craft organizations and aids in the development of active communities around craft.
Crafthouse is the social enterprise program operated by CCBC where we display and sell juried contemporary craft in ceramic, fibre, glass, metal and wood by members of the Council. Through providing an outlet for the display and sale of craft, we aim to support emerging and established artists, deliver information and education about craft to the general public, and contribute to the thriving community of Granville Island.
- appreciating and understanding the importance of the hand-made object and the person who created it and sharing our knowledge with the public
- a supportive and enthusiastic workplace where we work together
- providing friendly and courteous interaction with the public, craftspeople and the wider arts community
So if you:
- have been trying to find a way to contribute to BC’s cultural economy that supports creative people
- have a passion for craft and love engaging with people to share your expertise
- have experience in a retail sales environment, preferably with previous supervisory experience
- have an appreciation for the challenges of working in the not-for-profit sector and are patient, flexible, a creative problem solver and enjoy working with volunteers
then you belong at the Craft Council!
And the job – it is to act as the Assistant Manager, reporting to the Crafthouse Manager. The Assistant Manager must be available to work at least 3 weekends (including Fridays) a month and Statutory holidays, and additional hours as needed during our peak season of May-September. The Assistant Manager will also be required to work full time when the Manager is on vacation. It is a contract position @ $13/hour.
Your specific duties would be:
- Sales: greeting and engaging with visitors to the Crafthouse to share information about craft and our artists, our gallery space, and CCBC; use our POS system to process transactions.
- Provide excellent service to customers requesting shipping, special orders, repairs and referrals to artists.
- Perform opening and closing routines.
- Inventory: enter new work into our system, awareness of where and how extra work is stored, replace sold work, sign-out inventory to artists as required.
- Assist with displays, including regularly rotating stock and the front window display as needed.
- Store & stock maintenance, including jewellery cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, window and glass case cleaning.
- Assist with training new staff and volunteers as needed.
- Assist with maintaining supply levels, including forms, artist biography cards, stationary items etc.
- Assist with administrative tasks and bookkeeping as needed.
- Inform the Manager of any situations that arise as necessary.
- Minimum of 2 years retail experience, supervisory experience is an asset.
- Experience with POS systems, MS Word, database programs. Aptitude for learning new computer programs and systems.
- Courteous, helpful and outgoing personality when interacting with others.
- Enjoy working as part of a team and have the ability to take the lead and work independently when required.
- Ability to multi-task, organized, flexible.
- Ability to climb stairs, ladders and lift objects.
- Arts background is an asset.
Deadline: Monday, February 2 nd 5PM
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Lower Mainland, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-01-24