OverviewCovenant House Toronto Day/Evening Youth Worker- 4 Months Contract Temporary in Toronto, ON
Covenant House Toronto
Branch Toronto ON CA
Day/Evening Youth Worker- 4 Months Contract
Children’s Aid Societies and other social service agencies; Recording accurate intake information, social history and assessment;…
Four Months Contract
As Canada’s largest homeless youth agency, Covenant House Toronto changes lives by providing the widest range of services and support under one roof. A national leader, we educate and advocate for change to help at-risk, homeless and trafficked youth by influencing public policy and delivering prevention and awareness programs. More than a place to stay, we serve almost 1,000 youth through our 24/7 crisis shelter and transitional housing on-site and in the community and about 2,000 with our comprehensive services, including education, counselling, health care, employment assistance, job training and aftercare, annually. The agency raises about 80 percent of its $22.8 million annual operating budget from donations. Covenant House is part of an international recognized child care agency with “houses” in 27 cities in Canada, the U.S. and Latin America. The Toronto site has served more than 90,000 youth over 33 years.
The successful candidate will be responsible for direct implementation of Covenant House philosophy, mission statement, and policies as they pertain to residential care.
The successful applicant will be responsible for:
• Ongoing assessment of youths’ needs; development of responsive case plan based on identified needs; individual counseling with youth;
• Working with and maintaining sanctuary and safety of a group of up to ten youth in the community for recreational outings, community service placements and summer programs;
• Providing vocational support to youth through the job search program;
• Developing group content and facilitating group process for Life Skills and other groups;
• Crisis intervention in situations of physical confrontation, medical and psychiatric emergencies, and for youth who have recently experienced trauma;
• Acting as caregiver; assisting youth with daily routines and laundry; supervising them throughout the building, escorting them within the community;
• Acting as an advocate for youth both within the agency as well as with external agencies;
• Gathering and packing youth’s belongings after discharge from the program;
• Primary responsibility for a caseload of up to 10 youth and secondary responsibility for up to an additional 20 youth on other staff caseloads;
• Responsible for the implementation and ongoing evaluation of youths’ plans and presenting their cases at Case Management Team meetings;
• Initiating youths’ plans as soon as possible after their assessment;
• Coordinating youths’ case plans with all relevant service areas within the agency; liaising with the Bail and Probation programs; Children’s Aid Societies and other social service agencies;
• Doing intake and reception function on a 24-hour basis; monitoring building to ensure safety;
• Maintaining client files; recording accurate intake information, social history and assessment; completion of all necessary forms pertinent to youths’ plans.
College or university degree or diploma in child and youth work or equivalent
Minimum two years experience in a shelter or residential setting., knowledge of adolescent developmental theory and specific issues related to street youth; First Aid, CPR and basic computer skills an asset; ability to identify, assess and intervene differentially with youth in crisis; excellent verbal and written communication skills; knowledge of community resources.
Interested candidates should submit their resume along with a cover letter to [email protected] by February 20, 2017
We thank all applicants however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an employer, Covenant House is committed to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We encourage applications from qualified individuals who represent diverse communities. Covenant House is committed to providing accommodations for individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-10