OverviewCorus Entertainment National Online Journalist — Smart Living Full Time in Toronto, ON
Branch Toronto ON CA
National Online Journalist — Smart Living
Reporting to the National Manager — Smart Living and Entertainment, you will develop and execute the vision and editorial strategy for globalnews.ca, with the…
Reporting to the National Manager — Smart Living and Entertainment, you will develop and execute the vision and editorial strategy for globalnews.ca, with the goal of creating compelling, impactful, and original lifestyle content. Together with a team of national online journalists, you will create web, broadcast, radio and multi-platform content including — but not limited to — text, video, and interactive digital journalism.
You will contribute original content that will achieve traffic goals and increase user engagement. You’ll also build relationships with a variety of key internal stakeholders, including local and national broadcast news managers, digital product development, Entertainment Tonight Canada, Global National and local and national radio station managers. This position will be based at 81 Barber Greene Road in Toronto.
- Work with the National Manager — Smart Living and Entertainment and senior leadership to meet goals and objectives that will grow the traffic of globalnews.ca, Corus Radio’s websites and Corus’ specialty channels through award-winning lifestyle journalism.
- Develop and maintain sources to aid in creating original stories for online.
- Pitch and write quality, unique lifestyle pieces.
- Create and promote innovative new multiplatform storytelling tools, techniques and technologies across the network.
- Uphold the high standards of the Global News Journalistic Principles and Practices as well as journalistic ethics codes and best practices.
What We Need From You:
- College or university degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in Journalism.
- At least 5 years experience in online media or equivalent, with a minimum 3 years of digital, television or newspaper journalism experience.
- An expertise in and passion for online journalism.
- A thorough knowledge of the lifestyle scene in Canada and abroad.
- Excellent writing, copy editing and substantive editing skills.
- Strong working knowledge of WordPress CMS.
- Strong working knowledge of digital production techniques, including online information architecture, digital project management, video encoding and distribution, and organic story creation.
- Diverse content experience across multiple verticals and formats, including digital video, text articles, blogs, social media tools, digital photos.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and experience working with several internal and external stakeholders on various projects.
- Experience working in broadcast news, and in a digital newsroom environment, is an asset.
- Enthusiasm and passion for all forms of news – everything from international events to politics, the arts, pop culture, sports, as well as a keen interest in technology and digital media.
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Passion for multi-platform lifestyle journalism.
- You wake up in the middle of the night with great ideas.
- A positive attitude, a love for collaboration and a team player.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills.
- Drive, determination, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by Feb. 23, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-12