OverviewCorus Entertainment Senior National Online Journalist – Health and Smart Living Full Time in Toronto, ON
Branch Toronto ON CA
Senior National Online Journalist – Health and Smart Living
Editorial assistance in the planning and execution of special projects. 5-7 years of experience in managing and delivering large editorial projects on time and…
Reporting to the Managing Editor, Features, you will be responsible for creating impactful, enterprising and original health stories for Globalnews.ca and various sections and sub-sites across Canada. You will work with the news and lifestyle teams to produce compelling web and multi-platform content, including text-based articles, video and interactive online features. You will contribute original multi-platform content that will achieve or exceed traffic goals, increasing user engagement, and building relationships with a variety of key internal stakeholders, including local and national broadcast news managers, digital product development, The West Block and Global National. This position will be based at 81 Barber Greene Road in Toronto.
- Planning and creating compelling and original multi-media web stories, with a focus on breaking health news, long-form written features, investigations, photo- and video-based features as well as interactive features.
- Making complicated health stories relevant to wider audiences.
- Pitch and write quality investigative pieces that challenge the status quo, demand accountability and create change.
- Editorial assistance in the planning and execution of special projects.
- Developing and maintaining health news sources to aid in creating original and investigative stories.
- Repurpose wire copy (CP and otherwise) for search engine optimization.
- Working to ensure special projects are accurately scoped, resourced and budgeted.
- Liaising with various digital and broadcast teams, including online journalists, news directors, producers, assignment editors, anchors, reporters and other news professionals, as well as third-party content providers, to facilitate the creation of unique online content.
- Liaising with digital project managers, online production artists, web developers and web designers to deliver timely site developments and special projects.
- Working to explore new methods of converging online and TV content to create a seamless experience for our audience.
- Utilizing specific online tools: content management system (WordPress), photo database (CP, Getty) wire news service interface (AP ENPS), interactive curation tool (Storify), interactive polling software (Polldaddy) and liveblogging tools.
- Staying informed of local, national and international news.
What We Need From You:
- College or university degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in Journalism.
- 5-7 years of experience in developing online content, with a focus on health and lifestyle reporting.
- 5-7 years of experience in managing and delivering large editorial projects on time and on budget.
- Excellent writing, copy editing and substantive editing skills.
- Strong working knowledge of WordPress CMS.
- Strong working knowledge of digital production techniques, including online information architecture, digital project management, video encoding and distribution, and organic story creation.
- Diverse content experience across multiple verticals and formats, including digital video, text articles, blogs, social media tools, digital photos.
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian Press style.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and experience working with several internal and external stakeholders on various projects.
- Experience working in broadcast news, and in a digital newsroom environment, is an asset.
- Enthusiasm and passion for all forms of news — but with an expertise in health journalism.
- A strong social media presence is an asset.
If You Have the Following … We Want to Hear From You!
- Passion for health reporting. You wake up in the middle of the night with good ideas.
- A positive attitude, a love for collaboration and a team player.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills.
- Drive, determination, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by January 22, 2018. Please clearly identify the job title in the subject line.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2018-01-10