OverviewCMHC Senior SQL Server DBA Full Time in Ottawa, ON
Branch Ottawa ON CA
Senior SQL Server DBA
YOUR PROFILE as a Senior SQL Server DBA includes:. YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES as a Senior SQL Server DBA will involve:….
Bring your analytical skills and your technical expertise to this position located in Ottawa.
As a key member of the Corporate Information Management team, you will design efficient databases and files necessary to support the data management requirements of business application systems. You will implement and maintain databases while providing database and related data communications expertise in a centralized or distributed environment. Also, you will provide the necessary database access and support software to staff responsible for developing or installing applications and provide project management in meeting these objectives.
This full-time permanent position is an exceptional opportunity for an analytical and motivated individual to achieve his/her professional goals, while creating a sustainable organization that is at the heart of a world leading housing system. Our diverse opportunities and locations across the country enable you to advance and grow your skills, knowledge and career to match your evolving interests and experience.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES as a Senior SQL Server DBA will involve:
Designing and implementing databases
- Designing, implementing and maintaining the ongoing integrity of corporate databases;
- Analyzing and understanding the business functions that use the data;
- Determining the set of data that supports the business most economically defining sharable structures and relationships among data;
- Developing and maintaining analytical data models and data architecture and verify accuracy of business requirements;
- Developing and implementing standards, architectures, strategies and data base design for data accesses in a high availability multi-platform distributed network environment;
- Selecting database hardware and software to be used, specifying any addition to database software that might be needed, upgrading and testing database environments in conjunction with IT infrastructure upgrades;
- Designing and implementing backup and recovery facilities, database maintenance activities, and database environment architecture (including hardware architecture for the database engine on the client server environment);
- Assisting programmers in using the database, conducting “walk-through” of their programs to ensure efficient database use;
- Resolving database errors and conflicts.
Developing and implementing new policy, guidelines and procedures
- Developing and promulgating data management policies and promotion of good data management practices to the Corporation;
- Ensuring compliance with data management policy and industry best practices relating to the planning, coordinating and implementing security measures to safeguard corporate databases including database security, data encryption, surface area reduction, database logging and audit-ability.
Providing expertise, advice and technical support
- Providing guidance and instruction to programmer/analysts and recommending application design modifications in order to improve database performance;
- Providing clients with up-to-date information and assistance regarding CMHC
‘s database infrastructure and databases; Developing SQL code to accomplish complex database accesses and review database access code developed by project teams. Manage projects Developing plans for project support determine resource requirements and monitor achievements against plan; Providing functional supervision, coordination or direction of activities for staff engaged in database analysis, design, development, maintenance and documentation tasks; Working in partnership with clients to understand their business needs, priorities and objectives in order to respond to their expectations. YOUR PROFILE as a Senior SQL Server DBA includes:
Education and Experience
- College diploma in a related field, with a minimum of 5 (five) years relevant experience in positions of increasing responsibility within Information Technology; or equivalent qualifications obtained through at least eight (8) years of success in related positions of increasing responsibility within Information Technology.
Relevant experience includes:
- Demonstrated experience in database design methods;
- Demonstrated experience in data modeling and data analysis techniques;
- Demonstrated experience working with relational database technology and associated products (Microsoft SQL Server 2008R2 and 2012) and database administration skills;
- Demonstrated experience working with Microsoft BI products (Microsoft SQL Server, SSAS (tabular model), SSRS and SSIS).
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of on-line system environments, mainframe database technology, and client/server technology;
- Knowledge of information technology standards and methodologies;
- Knowledge of computing environments and the interrelationships of the database products;
- Knowledge of redundancy and disaster recovery practices as well as security risks and mitigation measures
- Organizational skills to support multiple ongoing projects at one time;
- Ability to work in a high stress, multidisciplinary team environment;
- Written and verbal communication skills;
- Design and code database access routines using SQL;
- Ability to review database access code and to provide constructive feedback to project teams;
- Project management and team leadership skills, including the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams on multi-platform projects;
- Familiarity with the technical environment pertinent to the position is expected;
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships, recognize opportunities for improvement and contribute to a working environment where diversity is valued, respected and integrated.
- Client Focus
- Valuing and Respecting Individuals
- Analytical Thinking
- Focus on Results
- Maximizing Quality
- Relationship Building
- Ability to manage flexible work hours, including some evenings and weekends.
Because what I do matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) is the heart of a world leading housing system that is making a difference for Canadians every day by helping them meet their housing needs. As Canada’s authority on housing, CMHC works with a variety of stakeholders to help ensure that the Canadian housing system remains one of the best in the world. Our work matters to a great many people and our employees matter to us.
As a CMHC employee, you will have access to a wide variety of opportunities in our business lines – housing finance, assisted housing, policy and research – and in the support services that are integral partners in the delivery of our business. If you want to work alongside other committed professionals who thrive on the challenging work they do every day, to make a real difference, and to be able to say with conviction “what I do matters”, make CMHC your career choice.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest.
Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an underfill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.
Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
The deadline for submitting your application is 11:59 pm ET on August 30, 2015 .
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-18