OverviewCity of Winnipeg Gardener 1 – Spare List (up to 10 seasonal positions) Temporary in Winnipeg, MB
City of Winnipeg
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
Gardener 1 – Spare List (up to 10 seasonal positions)
Recruitment Clerk, Public Works Department, Human Resources Division, 1155 Pacific Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E 3P1….
The City of Winnipeg is a vibrant and dynamic organization with many opportunities!
We offer a diverse and welcoming work environment that delivers quality services to our citizens.
Closing Date: November 18, 2016
Under the supervision of a Foreman 3 or designate, the Gardener 1 will perform skilled work in the care of perennials, bedding plants, shrubs and landscaped areas. Maintenance tasks include weeding, watering, spraying, cultivating, staking, pruning, preparing planting beds with hand tools and power tools, integrating soil amendments, planning flower beds, planters, planning, etc.
As the Gardener 1 you will be:
- Performing responsible and skilled work in the care of perennials, bedding plants, shrubs, landscaped areas, etc., including weeding, watering, spraying, cultivating, staking, pruning, preparing planting beds with hand tools and power tools, arranges and plans the layout of flowerbeds and planters, etc.
- Maintaining a variety of records, i.e. designing of floral arrangements and calculating the amount of plant material required for sites designated to that gardener, keeping seasonal records of plant material, seasonal landscaping materials requirements.
- Diagnosing for pests and diseases, and performing application of fertilizers, insecticides, and fungicides as required.
- Following established safe work practices, operating policies and procedures and ensuring compliance.
- Performing other related duties consistent with the classification as required.
Your education and experience includes:
- Post-secondary training in horticulture or Grade 12 education or an equivalent supplemented by additional horticulture training/courses.
- Previous training and experience in gardening required.
- Have successfully completed or be willing to obtain the following courses:
- First Aid Certificate
- Temporary Traffic Control
- Possess or be willing and able to obtain a valid Manitoba Pesticide Applicator’s Licence (core plus landscape category) within 3 months of selection to the Gardener 1 posting.
Conditions of employment:
- Possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
- Be physically able to perform the duties of the job, which may include, but are not limited to: working outdoors in potentially extreme weather conditions, ability to stand and walk for prolonged periods and over uneven terrain.
- The successful applicants may be required to undergo a medical assessment at the Occupational Health Branch.
- Successful applicants may be required to participate in cholinesterase monitoring program which includes regular blood tests to ensure that cholinesterase levels are within safe limits.
If YOU are interested in this exciting opportunity, please submit your application, including a detailed resume, online at winnipeg.ca/hr . OR, by mail quoting Posting No. 114537, Gardener 1 Spare List position by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, November 18, 2016 to: Recruitment Clerk, Public Works Department, Human Resources Division, 1155 Pacific Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E 3P1.
The salary range for this position is $1,537.97 – $1,870.90 Bi-weekly.
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
For more information on this opportunity and other careers within the City, visit: http://winnipeg.ca/hr/
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posted on: 2016-10-30