OverviewCity of Toronto Supervisor, Materials Management & Stores Full Time in Toronto, ON
City of Toronto
Branch Toronto ON CA
Supervisor, Materials Management & Stores
Supervises various programs including material non-conformance, expediting, invoice variance, cycle counting, Master Data, New Material Requests, Contract…
Reporting to the Manager, Materials Management and Stores, the Supervisor, Materials Management and Stores will be responsible for supervising a team of staff in order to maintain an effective materials management program for client divisions across the City of Toronto.
Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirement, Understands and follows Divisional and Corporate Procedures and ensures staff adhere to same.
Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
Builds and maintains a solid client base by monitoring customer satisfaction and responds promptly to escalated customer complaints, requests and inquiries.
Provides continuous improvement in client service ensuring that materials are purchased, maintained and delivered in a safe, courteous and timely manner, accommodating a variety of customer’s needs.
Ensures that employee productivity is maintained at a high level by monitoring daily activities and promoting good morale and encouraging team building amongst staff.
Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
Supervises various programs including material non-conformance, expediting, invoice variance, cycle counting, Master Data, New Material Requests, Contract Management, MSDS, obsolescence and others for daily completion and works with other Supervisors to achieve desired results.
Reviews, analyzes and problem solves program concerns and discrepancies and recommends continuous improvement initiatives.
Maintains a high level of quality control by effectively managing the movement of stock, use of space and security in a number of warehouse facilities and recommends opportunities for improved material supply strategies to ensure maximum service levels with minimum inventory investment.
Contacts and meets with vendors on regular basis to acquire material specification information, correct overdue material delivery issues and reconcile material non-conformance issues.
Initiates Purchase Requisitions and amendments for the establishment/maintenance of contracts for the purchase of materials stocked in all warehouse operations to be used in the purchasing of supplies through the competitive bidding process.
Reviews and approves Material Specifications, Call Documents for materials stocked in all the warehouse operations along with the recommendation for award.
Reviews and recommends updates to material specifications for warehoused materials to meet new safety requirements and/or improved product availability and forwards this information to Standards and Specifications section for inclusion in the formal specifications
Review SAP functionality and search for improved ways to process and use SAP more effectively, communicating changes with staff and peers for implementation
Approves all transactions up to authorization level.
Provides regular statistical information for the Manager of Materials Management and Stores as required.
Considers staff’s requests and training to conform to government legislation in the areas of Occupational Health and Safety, WHIMS and Ministry of Labour regulations.
Reports attendance on a daily basis and reviews attendance, vacation, lieu time and sick time to ensure accuracy.
Promotes a safe, efficient working environment, encouraging others to improve on performance, efficiencies and the ability to recognize areas in need of improvement.
1. Considerable experience in large scale public or private organization in a materials management operations with a strong customer service focus
2. Considerable experience using automated materials management systems, (i.e. SAP)
3. Experience supervising, motivating, leading and training staff in a unionized environment.
4. Experience dealing with vendors for the delivery of products and services.
5. Ability to establish effective working relationships with all stakeholders, employees, client divisions, outside agencies and/or politicians and other levels of government.
6. Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
7. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate both orally and in writing at all organizational levels.
8. Superior analytical, interpersonal, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
9. Excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
10. Ability to function effectively in a service oriented, politically sensitive environment and to balance the needs of the organization and customer base against available resources.
11. Familiarity with Collective Agreements, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Employment Standards Act, Employee and Labour Relations and Human Rights policies as well as other applicable government legislature.
12. Knowledge of the principles, techniques, methods, business standards and best practices of material management, distribution and stores.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy , a request for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process.
Applicants are required to provide their accommodation needs in advance and submit adequate documentation to support their request for accommodation in the assessment process and/or to perform the essential duties of the posted position. For disability-related accommodation, documentation must be from the applicants’ treating physician outlining their functional limitations.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-18