City of Toronto Quality Control Officer Temporary in Toronto, ON
City of Toronto
Branch Toronto ON CA
Quality Control Officer
Major Responsibilities: Conducts activities relating to the enforcement/compliance of Toronto Water’s By-laws to regulate the discharge of wastewater and
- Conducts activities relating to the enforcement/compliance of Toronto Water’s By-laws to regulate the discharge of wastewater and land drainage and water supply in the City of Toronto.
- Prepares, cleans, transports, and maintains sampling and safety equipment for use and correct calibration, if necessary.
- Operates and maintains vehicles and sampling equipment.
- Conducts industrial, commercial and institutional facility inspections, spill/pollution investigations and meetings.
- Monitors/ samples sanitary and storm sewer systems, identifies new sampling locations within the collection system. Collects samples and conducts field tests such as pH and submits other bylaw parameter samples for laboratory analysis.
- Takes samples and analyzes tests of wastewater and industrial wastes, which may require calibrating equipment, mathematical calculations, the use of a computer and data mining.
- Liaises with staff regarding findings.
- Investigates complaints and answers enquiries in connection with spills, odours and water pollution control.
- Appears in court as a witness in By-law violation cases and represents the City when involved in complaints.
- Maintains records, takes detailed and accurate notes, prepares accurate and concise written reports and enters data using a works management system such as i-Publicly operated treatment works and Administration and Compliance System’ (iPACS) and/or various office software such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, WMAC.
- Acts as a team member working with the unit supervisors, manager, and closely with area bylaw officers.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
Experience performing sampling preferably related to wastewater and industrial wastes.
Experience with a wide variety of sampling equipment.
Secondary School Diploma, or approved equivalent combination of education and experience. Post-secondary education in the field of Engineering or Sciences is considered an asset.
Demonstrated experience in the use of computers and applicable software such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel), PACS, Hansen, etc.
Must possess a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence and able to pass and maintain a City’s operator’s permit.
You must also have:
- Good verbal communication skills with the ability to discuss issues with the general public, private industry and other regulatory bodies.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to prepare detailed documentation and to write clear, concise reports in a legible manner.
- Good organizational skills to plan daily work.
- Good physical condition with the ability to withstand the environment of wastewater, industrial wastes, offensive industrial and sewage odours, severe and varying climatic conditions.
- Knowledge and understanding of wastewater collection system, wastewater treatment, and industrial wastes.
- Ability to lift sampling equipment and to remove maintenance hole covers on sewers.
- Ability to work shifts, and report on call outside working hours.
- Ability to meet with the public and represent the City of Toronto in connection with water pollution complaints or concerns.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, organize and work independently.
Location: 30 Dee Ave. or 545 Commissioners Street
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy , accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.