OverviewCity of Toronto Planner Parks & Recreation Part Time in Toronto, ON
City of Toronto
Branch Toronto ON CA
Planner Parks & Recreation
Post secondary degree or diploma from university or college in Landscape Architecture, Planning, Environmental Studies/Science, Forestry, Ecology,…
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Planner Parks and Recreation within our Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES : If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a “Current Part-time employee” in the ” Custom Information ” section of your on-line application form, and provide your ” Employee Number ” in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
Reporting to the Manager, Standards and Innovation for Parks the Planner, Parks & Recreation performs work related to the planning and development of the City’s parks, trails and recreation services and facilities, particularly in developing reports, plans, strategies, web and social media content, signage, communication materials and staff training. The successful candidate will:
- Prepare plans and reports (e.g. sectoral plans, major facility plans, etc.) and make recommendations for parks, forestry and recreation facilities at city wide scales and related to community specific initiatives
- Identify and develop plans and strategies related to the planning, development and management of parks, forestry, recreation and open space, such as, property acquisition, protection and enhancement of natural heritage, trails, landscape character, recreation facilities, etc., relating to City-wide and community need
- Prepare and implement work programs for the completion of planning assignments, including terms of reference, schedules, public consultation, background studies, technical studies, approval processes, etc.
- Conduct field visits and reviews to study conditions affecting planning and to determine compliance with related plans
- Coordinate or participate in consultation and liaison activities with community groups, interest groups and other stakeholders, related to parks, forestry and recreation services and facilities, as may be necessary
- Coordinate divisional review and input on relevant planning matters based on applicable legislation and corporate policies and practices, including applications for Official Plan amendments, re-zoning, development review, condominium and subdivision plans, development agreements, road closings, etc.
- Maintain databases and inventories related to Parks, Forestry and Recreation planning functions at the citywide scale
- Contribute to the development of Corporate and statutory plans and processes, including long-term Parks, Forestry and Recreation needs and capital requirements
- Review and evaluate property available for acquisition or disposal from various sources, e.g. through direct purchase, lease, licence or other means, as may be relevant and required from time to time as part of this job
- Attend public meetings and events to represent the division and provide or obtain information on Parks, Forestry and Recreation planning matters. May be required to attend or represent the division at City Council, Community Councils and Standing Committees.
- May be required to prepare materials or act as a witness at Ontario Municipal Board hearings or other proceedings.
- Prepare requests for proposals and terms of references, for outside services relevant to Parks, Forestry and Recreation planning. Coordinate and monitor work in progress by outside suppliers, ensuring that all work fulfills established requirement
- Prepare reports, correspondence, web content and other relevant communications as part of the planning and development program and for senior management and Council, as required
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
You must also have:
- Ability to understand, convey and use scientific and technical information in planning processes and report writing.
- Ability to anticipate and resolve issues related to parks, forestry and recreation planning.
- Knowledge of public consultation principles and techniques.
- Understanding of relevant legislation and policy related to parks, open space, recreation and forestry planning and development.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at a professional level with senior management, consultants, staff from other divisions and departments, other agencies and the public.
- Ability to use a computer with good keyboarding skills and proficiency in the use of standard spreadsheets, word processing, computer graphic software and social media platforms.
- Ability to meet critical time lines for processing pertinent work assignments.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of occupational health and safety.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Communication: Please note that we communicate to applicants via email. Therefore, please ensure that your email address is up to date in your TalentFlow account, and that you check your email regularly.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy . You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City’s hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at [email protected] , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2018-01-10