City of Toronto Gas Fitter Full Time in Toronto, ON
City of Toronto
Branch Toronto ON CA
Performs a variety of skilled work not requiring the service of other licensed trades. Performs skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the installation, maintenance,…
- Performs skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the installation, maintenance, repair and calibration of gas and related equipment and conducts appropriate tests. Utilizes and maintains a variety of hand and power tools and equipment.
- Installs and maintains all types of equipment and other control devices.
- Selects, installs and maintains gas-related equipment and systems and ensures a safe operation which meets all government and Canadian Gas Association codes, standards and regulations.
- Works with various instruments, gauges and test equipment for the testing, calibrating, maintaining and operating of gas equipment and systems.
- Purges, isolates, vents and monitors gas lines, vessels, gas systems and equipment for the purpose of maintenance, repair, replacement, construction etc., by using gas detection equipment, ventilation fans, warning signs, lock-out devices, etc.
- Performs general machine shop and plumbing work including the use of oxy-acetylene and electric arc welding and cutting, hydraulic press, pipe threading, pipe cutting and other tools.
- Provides work direction and training to other staff. Communicates related activities verbally and in writing, including the preparation of reports, details of work completed, data logging, etc.
- Travels to various work locations and may be required to operate forklifts and hoisting devices.
- Performs a variety of skilled work not requiring the service of other licensed trades.
- Uses a variety of tools/equipment and is responsible for their maintenance.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
Must possess and maintain a valid Gas Fitter G1 Certificate, issued in accordance with Ontario Regulation 826/82, made under the Energy Act.
Considerable experience as a Gas Fitter.
Experience in connecting and disconnecting electric power lines to equipment after following safety lock-out procedures with the understanding that some electric connections would be of the explosion proof type.
Experience in general machine shop and plumbing practices and the operation of tools required for construction and maintenance of gas systems.
Experience in oxy-acetylene and electric arc welding and cutting.
Experience in the installation, repair and testing of mechanical equipment, such as: pumps, boilers, hot water heaters. infra-red heaters, rooftop HVAC, furnaces, etc. and associated equipment, with an understanding of the benefits of preventive and predictive maintenance to achieve reliable and economical operation of the facilities.
Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class “G” Driver’s License and must qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and requirements.
You must also have:
- Extensive knowledge and familiarity with the use, installation and detection of gas equipment, conditions, systems, procedures, safety requirements, materials, components, etc.
- Thoroughly familiar with the use of gas detection equipment and toxic gas analyzers as they pertain to explosive or flammable conditions and to confined spaces.
- Knowledge of electricity in its single and 3-phase forms, as applied to motors, solenoid valves, etc.
- Must be familiar with the properties/characteristics of Natural, Digester, Propane, Acetylene, Ozone gases, liquid and gaseous Chlorine and other chemicals, as well as the Ontario Gas Utilization Code, the Code for Digester Gas Installations, the Ministry of the Environment and Chlorine Institute recommendations and publications, the Ontario Boiler and Pressure Vessels Act and all other related regulatory codes that apply to this work.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, sketches and drawings and produce sketches/drawings, to prepare reports using computer, maintain accurate records and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to provide work direction and training to others
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties of the position
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work
- With the appropriate safety precautions, must be able to tolerate dusty, noisey, heights and odorous conditions. Must be able to work in and have knowledge of confined space entry and regulations
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime/on call duty
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy , accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.