Employment Type: Full Time
Posted on: 2015-01-24
City of Toronto Bridge Worker Full Time in Toronto, ON
City of Toronto
Branch Toronto ON CA
Ability to maintain accurate records and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Performs snow removal operations on bridges and the Transportation…
- If successful for this temporary work opportunity or assignment, permanent employees who are members of Local 416 retain their permanent status. At the end of the temporary work opportunity/assignment, they will return to their base position and location
- Successful candidates are required to complete the full duration of the temporary work opportunity/assignment
- Temporary employees who are members of Local 416, who have made a commitment to a seasonal/non-seasonal opportunity/assignment through the Work Selection process, are eligible to apply and be considered for an assessment only. Employees who are deemed qualified through the assessment process will have their names maintained on a “Qualified Inventory List” and their “Personal Work Selection List” (PSWL) updated for the period of time the assessment is valid
- This temporary work opportunity or assignment may be subject to bumping in accordance with the “LETTER OF AGREEMENT for Temporary Work Opportunities/Assignments” under the TCEU Local 416 Memorandum of Settlement
- Performs construction and maintenance work on concrete, steel and wooden bridges. Uses a variety of hand and power tools, heavy and related equipment
- Makes repairs to bridges. Cleans and paints steel bridges. Safeguards bridges during flood conditions
- Reads plans and drawings
- Performs assorted shop duties
- Operates equipment such as dump trucks, pickup trucks, etc. Maintains equipment and vehicles on a daily basis and makes minor repairs
- May be required to perform maintenance work on subways such as washing and sandblasting walls, concrete, replacing metal canopies, etc.
- Loads concrete, asphalt, etc. into truck
- Performs annual inspection on bridges and prepares the reports
- Performs other duties at this wage grade level or lower such as labouring type duties, maintenance and cleaning activities when not operating assigned vehicle or equipment
- Completes reports (e.g., Driver’s Collision/Incident Report) related to assigned duties and responsibilities
- Performs snow removal operations on bridges and the Transportation Right of Way utilizing mechanical snow removal equipment
- Performs work in a safe, efficient and courteous manner
- Performs other related work as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
Experience and demonstrated ability in the repair of bridges and the use of asphalt and concrete.
Experience in rigging scaffolding and working from ladders and staging over open spaces at varying heights.
Experience in sandblasting, structural framework, carpentry, concrete finishing, welding including oxy-acetylene, arc and mig.
Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class “D” Driver’s License with “Z” endorsement and must have or shall be required to obtain required City permit for assigned vehicle(s) and equipment(s).
You must also have:
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and capable of working at heights and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Knowledge of culverts, fixed bridges, multi-span structures, pre-stressed and post tensioned bridges.
- Knowledge of asphalt, concrete, corrosion protection, waterproofing, reinforcing steel and structural steel.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to conduct and document the annual visual bridge inspection within the District.
- Must be familiar with requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties and responsibilities or capable of obtaining familiarity of same.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform minor maintenance on equipment and to maintain equipment/vehicle in a clean, tidy and safe condition.
- May be required to do overtime and shift work.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Ability to use or learn to use various technical devices related to the position.
- Ability to communicate in relation to their job duties.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy , accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.