OverviewCity of St. Albert Community Development Coordinator (Term Position) Full Time in St. Albert, AB
City of St. Albert
Branch St. Albert AB CA
Community Development Coordinator (Term Position)
St. Albert, AB
As Alberta’s ‘Botanical Arts City’, St. Albert is a community renowned for its botanical arts, its commitment to a green lifestyle and the cultivation of…
Cultivate your Career:
As Alberta’s ‘Botanical Arts City’, St. Albert is a community renowned for its botanical arts, its commitment to a green lifestyle and the cultivation of activities that provide for a well-rounded quality of life. Our employees provide over 64,000 residents with high-quality programs and services and are proud to contribute to making St. Albert one of the best places to live in Canada.
Our Community & Social Development department is seeking to hire a Community Development Coordinator for a term assignment. Reporting to the Manager, this position is responsible for adhering to the Family and Community Support Services Act and Regulation while identifying local social issues, trends and needs and developing responsive, preventive, high quality services and programs to meet those and emergent trends. The Coordinator is responsible for engaging community partners and stakeholders in the delivery of services and programs through partnerships and collaborations
Specific responsibilities of the Coordinator will include:
- Leadership of the community development function: facilitating the identification of community issues and engaging residents and community partners in the delivery of programs and services; championing values of the Social Master Plan; facilitating program development, evaluation and reporting; recruiting to and managing community development committees; accesses and advises groups to access grant and other funding opportunities;
- Research and analysis: conducting research and preparing reports and correspondence on several social issues in consultation with community partners and as required by Council, administration or department that provides direction and best practice approach for the delivery of social services and supports;
- Direct client service: providing direct support, including information and referral, to residents of the community as required via telephone, email or walk-in; including follow-up support as appropriate.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Community Development or a related discipline.
- At minimum 5 years of community development and community engagement experience. The position needs an individual who has superior evaluation, outcomes and tracking skills that can ensure deliverables are met and reported.
- Certification in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training.
- First Aid/CPR Certification.
- The position requires an individual who is proficient in program development, fund development, research and report writing.
- The ability to develop relationships and support collaborative work is also essential as the role also requires significant engagement with internal and community partners.
- A strong understanding of the 7 determinants of poverty would be a benefit in the role.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is required; confidence using PowerPoint would be a definite asset.
- A Class 5 Drivers License and access to a vehicle is required.
- Prior supervisory experience is desirable as the Coordinator may recruit, supervise and evaluate practicum students, volunteers and contract staff.
Hours of Work:
This position works a compressed schedule of 72 hours bi-weekly (Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 5:00 with a regular day off every two weeks). There will be requirements for extra and evening hours, and travel to attend local and regional meetings.
$74,438 – $90,565 per annum. In addition, the City of St. Albert offers a generous and comprehensive flexible benefit package.
TERM: June 2018 – approximately June 2019
Application instructions: please submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this opportunity.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a clear vulnerable sector police information check.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. The City of St. Albert will no longer accept applications in person, via fax, email or by post. Applications will only be accepted to 10:00 p.m. (Mountain Time Zone) on closing date.
Please answer all of the following questions before applying
- Question numbers in red and with an asterisk indicate mandatory questions (answer is required).
- 1. In 150 words or less, please describe how you go about building collaborative relationships with stakeholders, describing an example where you were successful.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: St. Albert, AB, CA
Posted on: 2018-05-01