OverviewCity of Mississauga Manager, Fleet Full Time in Mississauga, ON
City of Mississauga
Branch Mississauga ON CA
Tact and diplomacy to deal with internal and external stakeholders including Members of Council, the public and community groups….
Working for the City means you are part of something big, something special!! You will be part for a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated people that are committed to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors and businesses of Mississauga.
Reporting to the Director of Works Operations & Maintenance, you will sit on the Divisional Management Team and contribute to the delivery of highest quality services to the people of Mississauga. Responsible for the overall management and operation of the Service Centre including employee and labour relations, staff performance and training, your leadership will contribute to a high performance team supporting front line service delivery. In this broad role, you’ll ensure that maintenance and replacement programs meet service levels according to plan and budget. Through development and management of performance metrics, you’ll drive continuous improvement and support organizational decision-making. With your progressive experience in a unionized work environment, you will participate in collective bargaining negotiations and administer the agreement. The successful candidate will develop and implement policies, practices and procedures for both employees and management of the Service Centre.
- A post-secondary diploma/degree in business administration or related field; or any combination of education and experience deemed equivalent
- Minimum of 7-10 years of progressive experience in fleet management
- Sound knowledge of shop management practices, repair procedures and preventative maintenance theory
- Experience with managing within a unionized environment an asset
- Experience with managing labour and employee issues is critical
- Knowledge of fleet asset management principles
- Knowledge of Ministry of Transportation, Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Labour requirements
- Knowledge of applicable legislative requirements such as the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Employment Standards Act, the Highway Traffic Act and the Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration program
- Tact and diplomacy to deal with internal and external stakeholders including Members of Council, the public and community groups
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong strategic and decision making skills balanced with a pragmatic, results-oriented approach
- Demonstrated leadership ability for coaching, developing and leading a team through times of continuous change while maintaining a positive, healthy and productive work environment
- Proven record of executing procedures and processes which foster efficiencies and an increase in productivity
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and transfer information and knowledge in a formal and informal environment along with solid written communication skills
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record acceptable to the City
- Leadership competencies include strategic agility, business acumen, communication and relationship building, developing culture and people, driving change and taking accountability
Reporting to the Director, Works Operations & Maintenance this position ensures efficient and effective management and operation of the Service Centre Section by:
- Managing and monitoring daily operations and activities of the Service Centre by closely interacting with staff to ensure service levels are being met
- Setting strategic direction for the City’s fleet (i.e. Greening the Fleet) including managing fleet maintenance programs, establishing long and short term plans/programs and clear objectives
- Manages and negotiates procurement of contracts and equipment by developing specifications, and reviewing bid submissions to determine best options
- Providing departments with advice and direction with regards to fleet acquisition and maintenance
- Maintaining the vehicle and equipment specification database integrity and developing technical specifications for the City’s diverse fleet
- Reviewing and implementing fleet replacement and disposal plans by meeting with internal user groups for assessment of needs and ideas to minimize cost and downtime
- Participating in the service area business plan and budget process by making recommendations regarding the annual operating budget and forecasting the ten year fleet capital budget to maintain established fleet standards
- Implementing procedures and standards to ensure a safe, productive and timely operation
- Ensuring adherence to applicable legislation, policies, procedures, rules, regulations and the collective agreement by taking appropriate measures
- Managing employee and labour relations matters including discipline, grievances, performance management, attendance support and workplace inspections/investigations including participating in the collective bargaining process
- Overseeing staff training needs to ensure staff are kept current on industry technical requirements and legislative changes as well as continuous improvement objectives
- Developing an environment which embraces change, encourages acceptance and guides others to proactively move through transition
- Maintaining an awareness of internal and external industry trends and applying this information to support long term vision.
- Taking ownership of responsibilities to produce results through the timely implementation and evaluation of programs and policies
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Note: 1 Permanent Position
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Salary: $104,099 – $138,799
Closing Date: Friday, May 29, 2015
Work Location: City of Mississauga
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Act.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-05-19