OverviewCity of Markham Supervisor, Waste Operations Temporary in Markham, ON
City of Markham
Branch Markham ON CA
Supervisor, Waste Operations
University degree in Environmental Studies or in a related discipline OR Certified Engineering Technologist. Applications are now being accepted for the above…
Applications are now being accepted for the above position at the Waste Management Department, Community and Fire Services Commission. You are encouraged to apply on-line at www.markham.ca . Posting closes on August 27, 2015.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Waste Management, this position is responsible for the day to day operations of the solid waste department which includes responding to and resolving collections issues, assisting in the collection of contract performance and coordinating diversion programs in City facilities. The Supervisor, Waste Operations will supervise recycling depot attendants including performance management.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises, recruits, trains and responsible for performance management of recycling depot attendants and students.
- Collects, interprets and reports on waste management data with respect to tonnage and cost and makes recommendations on same for current and future program initiatives and budgets.
- Prepare reports to Council and Committees on a wide variety of Waste Management issues including confidential reports.
- Supervise City’s service contracts to ensure services are provided in accordance with approved service levels.
- Hire and supervise co-op/summer student staff members to assist with summer education and statistical monitoring programs.
- Review, comment on, and enforce City’s site plan and subdivision control planning process.
- Oversee enforcement of the City’s Waste Management by-law.
- Act as a liaison between department and private sector industry partners.
- Represent City at associations, industry forums, conferences, etc.
- Oversee health and safety procedures and programs of the recycling depot operations.
- Supervise pilot projects and project innovations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree in Environmental Studies or in a related discipline OR Certified Engineering Technologist
- Master Composter Certificate from Recycling Council of Ontario
- 2-4 years related experience in waste management programs
- Computer skills (MS Office, Email and Internet)
- Must have access to own vehicle and hold a valid G Ontario Driver’s License
- Demonstrated time management skills, ability to prioritize work tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to provide clear direction
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and demonstrated initiative
- Excellent decision making and communication skills
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Markham, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-17