OverviewCity of Grande Prairie Community Peace Officer Full Time in Grande Prairie, AB
City of Grande Prairie
Branch Grande Prairie AB CA
Community Peace Officer
Grande Prairie, AB
We also provide services such as fingerprinting and Criminal Records Checks. Please be aware that this is not a typical customer service position you may see…
Do you enjoy helping people on a daily basis? The Community Peace Officers at the City of Grande Prairie RCMP front counter are usually the first point of contact people make when attending the Grande Prairie detachment. Please be aware that this is not a typical customer service position you may see elsewhere. The work you will be doing is difficult, heavily driven by data entry and information collection where accuracy and speed are essential. The role is a difficult one that requires both tact and good judgment to be successful in. Your knowledge will be challenged on a daily basis and you will be working as part of a close-knit team in an essential department within the Grande Prairie detachment. We work directly with the public, assisting them with reporting a wide variety of occurrences, many of which can be traumatic and stressful for the client. The documentation and information gathered by the Community Peace Officers at the front counter is then forwarded to the RCMP members on duty for further investigation or immediate intervention if necessary. We also provide services such as fingerprinting and Criminal Records Checks. It is a job like no other and requires a particular skill set to succeed in. If this appeals to you, perhaps you are the one we are looking for.
Be advised that this posting is for one permanent full time position and one twelve month term position .
The City of Grande Prairie RCMP front counter Community Peace Officers report directly to the RCMP Customer Service Supervisor, Shawn Hibbert.
Many of the tasks and duties for the Front Counter Community Peace Officers are listed below:
- You will be responsible for a large quantity of data entry. Speed and accuracy are essential aspects of this job.
- You will provide ink and electronic fingerprinting services for civilian applications such as Record Suspensions, Certified Criminal Records Checks, immigration, and employment to name a few.
- You will be accepting and reviewing witness statements for the gamut of occurrences that are reported to the Grande Prairie RCMP front counter.
- You will be generating a vast array of RCMP related complaints on behalf of the general public in the Police Reporting Occurrence System (PROS).
- You will be completing collision reports in both the PROS system and Alberta Transportation’s eColliison program.
- You will be assisting the general public with completing applications for Criminal Record Checks for their various needs (employment, volunteering, etc.).
- You will be processing ticket payments for parking violations issued by the RCMP and Enforcement Services.
- You will be responsible for incoming and outgoing detachment mail which includes processing secured shipments for exhibits and other such sensitive documentation / parcels.
The following are prerequisites for this position:
- The successful candidate will possess an Office Administration Certificate from a recognized college and a minimum of two (2) years experience in an office environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The incumbent must be available to work evenings and weekends.
- You must be able to demonstrate knowledge and proficiency with computer data entry and retrieval, and moder office procedures and equipment.
- You must possess the ability to prioritize and organize work assignments based on volume and deadlines.
- You must possess the ability to handle sensitive, confidential information using tact, diplomacy and mature judgment in all communication, including during stressful situations (in person, in writing, and over the phone).
- Attention to detail is critical for all aspects of this position.
- Analytical ability.
- The successful applicant must be able to obtain and maintain an enhanced RCMP Security Clearance prior to any offer of employment. Preference may be given to individuals who currently possess an enhanced RCMP Security Clearance.
- The successful applicant must pass both PROS “End User” certification and PROS “Records 1″ certification. Preference may be given to individuals who currently possess PROS certification.
What we offer
Being a Community Peace Officer at the City of Grande Prairie RCMP front counter is not a job for the faint of heart. It is a very challenging environment that will test you and your abilities every day. If you have never worked in or around law enforcement before, you have never worked anywhere like this. The work we do is difficult and nonstop. You must have the ambition to do your best every single time and pay very close attention to the details as often times the information we collect and pass along to our colleagues can significantly impact their safety as well as the safety of the community. The clients we serve cover a wide spectrum; people reporting assaults, thefts, collisions, people turning themselves in on warrants, applying for Criminal Record Checks or that require fingerprinting for work or immigration purposes. Anything and everything you can imagine(even some things you cannot) comes through the RCMP front counter. It is a stressful, yet rewarding job. The largest reward being the knowledge that our job makes a difference in people’s lives. We are the face of the detachment for those that come through our doors. The front line. We take the brunt from angry clientele as quickly as we receive the praise from those we are able to help. It is an extremely fluid environment where we are a tight-knit team that watches each others backs and work closely together to find solutions for any issues that come our way.
At the City of Grande Prairie, we recognize and value that people have lives outside of work. We offer flexibility with scheduling, have higher than minimum vacation entitlements and comprehensive benefits that not only cover you when you’re sick but encourage you to be well. We have wellness events, social activities, community fundraising activities and a supportive work environment where you can grow your career. The City of Grande Prairie is proud to be an Employer of Choice!
Job base location
Grande Prairie RCMP Detachment Front Counter
Eastlink RCMP Satellite Office
Hours of work
08:00 – 16:00 Monday through Friday (Main Detachment)
11:00 – 19:00 Monday through Friday (Main Detachment)
09:00 – 17:00 Monday through Friday (Eastlink Satellite Office)
11:00 – 15:00 Saturdays (Main Detachment)
Salary / Wage
Starting pay: $27.24 / hr
C Band Step 1
1. Only applications received between September 21, 2016 and September 28, 2016 by midnight will be considered for this competition.
2. Applications must be submitted directly through the City of Grande Prairie website. Resumes submitted through the use of third party websites or dropped off in person will not be accepted.
3. The selection process will include testing at the time of interview as well as reference checks that will be conducted post interview.
We thank you in advance for your interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email. We will contact those who did not make it to the interview stage by email within 1 month of the closing date of this job posting.
Submit your cover letter and resume using the “Apply Now” tab on this web page.
Note: Once you apply and upload a resume you should receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted for this position. If you receive this email, there is NO further need to contact us regarding this position.
This posting may be used to fill more than one position.
Who to contact for more information?
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive per job posting, we are not able to answer job specific questions before the interview stage. If you are successful in getting to the job interview stage, we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have at that time.
Applications are being accepted until September 28, 2016
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Grande Prairie, AB, CA
Posted on: 2016-09-22