OverviewCity of Fort St. John Grounds Supervisor – Regular – Full Time Full Time in Fort St. John, BC
City of Fort St. John
Branch Fort St. John BC CA
Grounds Supervisor – Regular – Full Time
Fort St. John, BC
Turf Management Equipment. Management Skills for Supervisors Certificate. Knowledge of word processing, database, and spreadsheet programs, specifically Word,…
NATURE OF WORK
The Grounds Supervisor performs a variety of administrative, supervisory and skilled tasks and assists the Roads and Grounds Superintendent in the planning, implementation, evaluation and maintenance of a variety of facilities and infrastructure including recreation structures, parks, grounds, open spaces, cemeteries, waste receptacles, flags, banners and bus stops. Assists in the development and implementation of related goals and objectives, budgets, policies and procedures. Works with, supervises and directs staff in the performance of a variety of tasks including grounds repair and maintenance, building repairs and maintenance and equipment repairs and maintenance. Assists in the scheduling and training of staff including the development of in-service training programs. Works varied and flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
Works under the direct supervision of the Roads and Grounds Superintendent. May report to the Director of Public Works and Utilities for special projects and assignments.
Supervises assigned public works staff working in the department and assigned assistants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees and assists in the maintenance, and maintenance scheduling, of assigned areas of responsibility; performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks including grounds repair and maintenance; building repairs and maintenance; equipment repairs and maintenance and custodial care.
- Assists with the staff scheduling and coordination of shift schedules within assigned areas of the department.
- Complies with all Public Works Department, City of Fort. St. John, and Provincial legislation, policies, and procedures and works within assigned budgets.
- Assists with the selection, evaluation, supervision, development and training of staff
- Determines, calculates and secures the appropriate materials and supplies for specific projects
- Inspects services provided by contractors or vendors for compliance with performance standards
- Assists in projecting needs for equipment, materials and supplies. Assists in the preparation of specifications, estimates and bids for machinery, equipment and contractor services
- Assures that tools and equipment are properly maintained and kept in proper working condition
- Complies with the organizational safety program and ensures that all WCB and other legislative safety requirements are met. Reviews all accidents and incidents and recommends changes necessary to ensure a safe environment for all staff and participants. Provides safety orientations to new employees.
- Works with the Roads and Grounds Superintendent to coordinate special event needs and staffing requirements
- Responsible for the preparation and implementation of statistical reports, logbooks, and inspection forms and prepares reports as required.
- Responsible for responding to general inquires and complaints from the public.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- May serve on various employee or other committees as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, AND REGISTRATIONS
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Management Skills for Supervisors Certificate
- Occupational First Aid Level I
- WHIMS, and Transport of Dangerous Goods
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, AND SKILL
- Five years experience in repair and maintenance work, at least two of which have been within a park system, coupled with demonstrated skill and ability in the areas of equipment operation and maintenance as it pertains to the department.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to handle a complex and varied work load
- Ability to communicate effectively with both oral and written skills
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Working knowledge of related legislation and regulations pertaining to the Cemetery Act.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in the interpretation and application of related policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of word processing, database, and spreadsheet programs, specifically Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer.
- Proven ability in supervision, training, and assisting subordinates with their daily routines. (Minimum 3 years experience at a supervisory level.)
- Competency in the areas of leadership, and the ability to work as a team player within the department and organization.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENC E
Diploma or certificate in turf management or grounds keeping, supplemented by courses in gardening, pesticide application and horticulture.
Experience in installing and maintaining irrigation equipment.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Grounds maintenance tools and equipment
Turf Management Equipment
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview and reference check, and other job related tests may be required
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related and/or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change
This is a position in the BC Government and Service Employee’s Union
Background Check Required:
Criminal Record Check
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Fort Saint John, BC, CA
Posted on: 2016-05-19