OverviewCity of Barrie Intermediate Development Services Technologist Full Time in Barrie, ON
City of Barrie
Branch Barrie ON CA
Intermediate Development Services Technologist
Three (3) year College diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or related discipline. The successful candidate will be responsible for:….
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Reviews designs, plans, coordinates, and administers all related aspects of development-engineering projects.
• Acts as file lead, overseeing and coordinating all development drawing review and comments within and outside of the division while ensuring compliance with Master Servicing, Transportation Studies and other strategic studies related to long-range planning, infrastructure construction, and development service needs.
• Participates in associated consultation/liaison functions and facilitates to resolve problematic issues as necessary.
• Conducts detailed technical analysis, recommends for approval, detailed engineering designs for all land development to ensure compliance with municipal, provincial, and federal regulations, standards and guidelines, Provincial, and Federal Acts, and ensures financial and legal agreements are adhered to.
• Reviews and processes Ministry of Environment applications under the Ontario Water Resources Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act. Ensures conformance with the Ontario Drinking Water Protection Regulations.
• Recommends periodic reduction in securities and determines assumption/final acceptance on behalf of the Engineering Department, Facilities & Transit Department, Environmental Services Department and the Roads, Parks and Fleet Department related to various development agreements, site plans, and subdivisions. Recommend final release of securities for the end of general maintenance and negotiates financial cash settlements for outstanding infrastructure elements.
• Prepares “Notice of Default” letters for Manager’s signature for works that are in default of the subdividers and site plan agreements; and calculate/prepare/direction letters to the Finance Department to draw on the letter of credit.
• Reviews Building Permit applications on behalf of the Engineering Department for compliance with standards and the overall site plan
• Prepares technical reports, Engineering Conditions approval memos, and Subdivision Acceptance memos for Council, Prepares conditions for site plan and development agreements.
• Compiles and prepares technical reports, conditions for Draft Plan, Zoning, and Official Plan Amendments.
• Prepares and provides comments, conditions and recommends approval or denial to the Committee of Adjustment based on compliance with municipal by-laws, standards, and policies in consultation with Zoning Administrative Officer, Planning and Parks Planning staff.
Research and Analysis
• Conducts searches related to engineering records and legal plans. Assess availability of existing infrastructure. Review Official Plan and Transportation Study to identify any road allowance widening requirements.
• Performs site visits to assess state of the property and taking any necessary measurements or pictures.
• Builds strong and professional relations with various community, development, business stakeholders, and ensuring effective communications at all times.
• Provides project updates to homeowners, senior staff, and various city departments.
• Establishes and preserves solid external strategic relationships with the private sector development community.
• Responds to inquiries, investigates complaints, researches, resolves, and directs.
• Responds to information requests from the public, developers, consultants, realtors in respect to development issues. This includes providing information on site servicing, location, zoning, and Official Plan, City standards, and policies, by-laws, regulations, restrictions, fees and corresponding with other City departments as required to obtain information for the client. Where necessary, provides interpretation of municipal policies and by-laws.
• Responds to general inquiries at the front counter.
• Three (3) year College diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or related discipline
• Eligibility for, and willingness to obtain a Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) Designation from the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technologists and Technicians (OACETT). Full Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) Designation is preferred.
• Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence in good standing with a reliable vehicle to use on corporate business
• Three (3) years of experience performing the above mentioned major responsibilities (Four years of experience is preferred)
• Proven experience in researching, interpreting and applying relevant legislation, construction plans, engineering drawings, surveys, and legal agreements is preferred.
• Effective English verbal and written communication skills, presentation skills, negotiating skills, problem-solving skills, inter-personal skills required to build effective working relationships with all stakeholders (including those from industry, community and government) as well as Council and staff.
• Ability to work in team environment, to deal effectively and courteously with the public, City staff, industry and agency staff, and other levels of government.
• Computer literacy utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, MS Project) as well as proven expertise in doing municipal engineering design using current version of AutoCAD software.
• Demonstrated political acumen and ability to negotiate, mediate, facilitate, and present information to the development industry audience is preferred
• Excellent project management/organization/co-ordinating/multi-tasking/work prioritization skills are preferred.
• The ability to skillfully operate a calculator and perform accounting, engineering functions and calculations is preferred.
• Strong technical knowledge and an understanding of construction relating to municipal infrastructure and construction principles and the relationship to the projects being undertaken are preferred.
• Possess strong project management and organization skills, flexibility to plan, initiate, organize, and prioritize own work and to effectively manage competing demands, conflicting priorities, time sensitive issues, pressures and deadlines are preferred.
• Computer literacy in ArcGIS, GIS Protal, Adobe Acobat, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Silverlight, AMANDA, KIP, PCSWMM for StormCeptor, Google Earth, WebEx, Ammyy Admin, InfanView, PhotoShop are preferred.
The hours of work will be 35 hours/week.
The 2015 pay range is $57,766 to $69,214 per year ($31.74 to $38.03/hr).
Monday, October 05, 2015
Please submit your resume electronically by quoting file #I-15-21 Intermediate Development Services Technologist (MS Word format only; quote file number in subject line) , by Monday, October 05, 2015 to [email protected] Human Resources Department, City of Barrie, P.O. Box 400, Barrie, Ontario, L4M 4T5.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-24