OverviewChoice Properties REIT Law Clerk – Real Estate & Leasing Full Time in Toronto, ON
Choice Properties REIT
Branch Toronto ON CA
Law Clerk – Real Estate & Leasing
Completion of Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario Law Clerk Program and/or Paralegal Certification. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years’…
Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust is an owner, manager and developer of well-located retail and commercial real estate across Canada. Choice Properties’ portfolio spans approximately 42.5 million square feet of gross leasable area and consists of 529 properties primarily focused on supermarket-anchored shopping centres and stand-alone supermarkets.
Choice Properties’ strategy is to create value by enhancing and optimizing its portfolio through accretive acquisitions, strategic development and active property management. Choice Properties’ principal tenant, and largest Unitholder is Loblaw Companies Limited, Canada’s largest retailer. Choice Properties’ strong alliance with Loblaw positions it well for future growth.
A commitment to continuous learning and development is a strong part of our culture.
Under the direction and guidance of the VP, General Counsel, perform duties of a law clerk or paralegal, and specifically delegated substantive legal work requiring advanced knowledge of real estate and commercial leasing matters.
Research, Drafting and Review of Leasing Documents:
• Draft, review and negotiate leases, lease extension, amendments and renewal agreements and other types of real estate and commercial leasing agreements. Arrange for execution by relevant parties.
• Provide legal support to the national leasing team.
• Correspond with government departments, municipal bodies, law firms and tenants, as appropriate.
• Research leasing and landlord/tenant issues arising from lease agreements and draft appropriate correspondence.
• Research, review agreements and give opinion on documentation/legal instruments in relation to real property matters.
• Assist with the preparation and registration of instruments in relation to change of title of corporate entities and removal of encumbrances from title, as requested.
Database and Information Management
• Maintain up-to-date spreadsheet of leasing transactions in progress, alerting the Leasing and Legal Teams of expiry dates of agreements and prepare renewal agreements as required.
• Access Teraview database to perform sub-searches as requested, e.g. construction lien searches, title searches, property mapping, etc.
• Register legal documents electronically (e-Reg).
• Communicate with and provide information to internal contacts within Choice Properties and other business units.
• Communicate with and provide information to external contacts – lawyers; other legal personnel; and tenants.
• Special projects as requested from time to time.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a real estate law clerk or paralegal with commercial leasing experience
• Completion of Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario Law Clerk Program and/or Paralegal Certification
• Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
• The ability to think and act independently with sound/strong judgment.
• High level of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
• Dependable, highly motivated and enthusiastic with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently as well as in a team oriented atmosphere.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a deadline driven environment.
• Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with people at various levels of an organization.
• Advanced knowledge with MS Office applications (Word, Excel & PowerPoint) and Teranet
• Demonstrated ability to work with sensitive and confidential information
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-09-21