OverviewCBC/Radio-Canada Associated Producer – Writers & Company Network Talk (English Services) Full Time in Toronto, ON
Branch Toronto ON CA
Associated Producer – Writers & Company Network Talk (English Services)
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada Whether on-air or behind the scenes, here you join a team that thrives on making the connections and telling the
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
Whether on-air or behind the scenes, here you join a team that thrives on making the connections and telling the stories that are important to Canadians. So, if you’ve got the ability to keep up with the pace of our ever-changing industry, the passion to make the next great idea even better and the drive to make things happen, this is the place for you.
CBC Radio is hiring one (1) Associate Producer to work for Network Talk, assigned to Writers & Company, a weekly one-hour program which explores in-depth the lives, ideas and work of writers from around the world. Each hour tends to be dedicated to a single author, though there are occasional panels or special series episodes in other formats.
Working under the supervision of the Executive Producer, the Associate Producer must have strong research skills; ability to produce content for multiple platforms, including radio and digital; sound mixing ability and experience in editing with DALET; ability to arrange interviews, from both an administrative and technical perspective; superior communication skills and meticulous attention to detail; familiarity with English-language literature; and excellent organizational skills.
To be successful in this role, the Associate Producer must be articulate, capable of managing multiple priorities, well-read, and able to assist producers and host as needed.
With appropriate direction from one or more Producers, participates in the production, direction and/or post-production of a program and/or program segment. Work must adhere to CBC journalistic and/or program policies, practices and standards but initiative and independent judgment are required. There is often a requirement to co-ordinate the activities of others.
- Assists in developing program content including writing, researching, and/or editing. Prepares scripts; ensures adherence to the style and format of the program.
- Organizes the participation of interviewees, creative contributors and other participants, conducts or arranges for any necessary research.
- Obtains studios, crews, lines, uplinks, remotes and other technical and production resources required by the program on behalf of all Producers and freelancers.
- Assemble all elements for repeat broadcasts.
- On occasion, record voice tracks in studio and direct in studio.
- Record miscellaneous elements required for an interview or broadcast (e.g. movie clips).
- Prepare required versions of the show and upload to correct locations.
- Contribute to editing in DALET, as needed.
- Contribute to weekly music choices. Retrieve music and load into DALET.
- Update show site in Polopoly.
- Create and circulate show rundown to internal partners.
- Maintain contact files.
- Maintain program production files.
- Process invoices and expenses and obtain authorizing signatures as required.
- Log programs and music in appropriate information systems.
- Answer listener mail and phone calls and manage any listener contests.
- Ensure subscriptions remain active.
You possess the following:
University degree or equivalent
- Minimum of two years’ relevant experience during which the candidate would gain exposure to journalism and the technology of radio or television broadcasting
- Degree in literature or equivalent experience is considered to be an asset for this role
- Proven experience in all aspects of story production including conducting pre-interviews, research, fact checking, sound mixing and editing and ensuring stories meet CBC’s Journalistic Standards and Procedures.
- Excellent and creative writing ability, the ability to write clearly and communicate well and warmly, and to write in the voice of the host.
- Proven experience with cross-platform and multi-media work including the web, social media, podcasting etc.
- Above average computer skills, with experience using Google systems, DALET, and CBC platforms such as Polopoly.
- Good judgment and critical-thinking skills
- Ability to work effectively in a high-pressure environment and with tight deadlines, without sacrificing creativity or quality
- Ability to take critical feedback and incorporate into the work
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to clearly explain concepts to peers
- Flexibility to adapt to changing work patterns and methods.
- Independent and self-motivated, combined with the ability to work well in a team environment
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to reflecting our country’s diversity.
In becoming the leader in expressing Canadian culture and enriching democratic life, we need to be as diverse in every way as the country we serve, both within our workforce and on air. As an employer, we value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster.
For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our corporate website.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location Toronto
Job Posting Aug 14, 2015, 10:49:42 AM
Unposting Date Aug 28, 2015, 10:59:00 PM
Status of Employment Permanent
Work schedule(s) Full-time
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-17