OverviewCapital District Health Authority Zone Medical Executive Director – Eastern Zone Full Time in Halifax, NS
Capital District Health Authority
Branch Halifax NS CA
Zone Medical Executive Director – Eastern Zone
Physician involvement, integration and performance management; Works collaboratively with the Operations Executive Director to implement and evaluate a…
The Nova Scotia Health Authority has outlined a vision for people-centered health care that will enable the system to think and act as one. A critical step in enabling this vision of a provincial approach to health services was the consolidation of the nine existing district health authorities into one Nova Scotia Health Authority, with the IWK Health Centre remaining as a separate authority. A streamlined health system can provide many opportunities to put resources where most effective to meet population needs, build a system that focuses on people and patients, ensure a provincial approach to planning and integration of services, and reduce duplication.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) has been created by legislation and was effective on April 1, 2015. The year ahead is one of transition and early transformation of the health system.
Reporting to the Vice President Medicine and Integrated Health Services and working within a co-leadership model with the Zone Operations Executive Director, the Zone Executive Medical Director will lead the development, implementation, evaluation, and monitoring of provincially integrated medical service plans which allow the management zone to deliver safe and high quality care.
The Zone Executive Medical Director is accountable for developing high performing inter-professional teams as well as utilizing resources in an efficient and sustainable manner.
Working with a provincial set of policies and standards, the position has zone-level responsibility for the following areas: physician involvement, integration and performance management; privileging and credentialing; appointment and oversight of Department Heads; Physician Resource Planning; coordination of residents and medical students, and physician professional development.
* Contributes to the development of a multi-year and multi-service, provincially integrated medical services plan to advance health service directions and priorities established by the President and CEO, and NSHA Board of Directors.
* Works collaboratively with the Operations Executive Director to implement and evaluate a management zone profile which will review required programs and services progress in meeting provincial standards and objectives.
* Provides strategic and operational advice to the Vice President on physician matters and plans implementation of provincial strategies in the management zone.
* Serves as Chair of the Zone Medical Advisory Committee and works with members to monitor the quality of care by medical staff within the zone, assess the appropriateness of medical staff resources within the zone and enforce by-laws/rules and regulations for the medical staff within the zone.
* Engages local physicians and other stakeholders in the identification and planning of priorities for health services, seeks input on how to best navigate the system and work collaboratively to review and resolve issues and identify improvement opportunities.
* Works with Department Heads to institute physician professional development programs. Appoints community and facility medical leads and monitors their work. Determines and monitors deliverables of clinicians in Alternative Payment Plans.
* Establishes and maintains collaborative partnerships, within and across professions, sectors and jurisdictions to ensure consistent translation of culture, vision, mission, values and policy and inform academic directions and mandates within the management zone.
* Serves as a visible leader for local physicians in the zone, as well as a clearing house for issues and concerns of the zone physicians throughout the transition.
* Works with the Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine and the departments to coordinate resident and medical learner placements. Serves as sponsor for clinicians in the zones with defined licenses.
* Assists the Zone Operation Executive Director in leading a fiscally responsible program by championing and following sound financial management through accurate business planning and forecasting, monitoring revenues and expenditures, reporting in accordance with the Accountability and Risk Management frameworks, following procurement guidelines, and acquiring goods and services in the most effective manner.
* Leads a healthy, safe, diverse and respectful workplace by championing and practicing sound human resources management by attracting, recruiting and retaining high calibre talent, establishing and monitoring performance objectives, providing ongoing learning and development, promoting teamwork, and ensuring employees have the tools and resources they require to perform at their best.
* Under the leadership of the Vice President of Medicine and Integrated Health Services, coordinates physician recruitment and retention for the Zone in conjunction with the Department/Program Heads and aligned with Physician Resource Plans. Ensures the development and maintenance of an organizational climate conducive to attracting, developing and retaining physicians.
* Medical Doctor (with or without specialty) with evidence of ongoing leadership training
* Five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience at a physician leadership level involved in the planning and delivering medical programs and services provided in several locations, with multiple partners and stakeholders
* Provincial committee experience.
* Experience engaging, mentoring and empowering teams and stakeholders in a collaborative, participative manner to develop operational plans and achieve objectives.
* CCPE preferred
$190,000 – $237,500 (based on fulltime equivalent)
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment at this site.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority policy at this site requires no smoking, vaping or tobacco use on the property or during staff-led patient outings. This means not using any tobacco products, other smoked or heated substances. Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), cigars, pipes, vape pens and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) at any time.
Please submit to [email protected] your expression of interest with cover letter and resume outlining your experience in relation to the accountabilities for the position.
Job Posting 12053.
Applications are accepted until 4:00 PM on the Closing Date
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Posted on: 2017-01-24