OverviewCapital District Health Authority Medical Laboratory Technical Specialist – Lab General Full Time in Halifax, NS
Capital District Health Authority
Branch Halifax NS CA
Medical Laboratory Technical Specialist – Lab General
The Nova Scotia Health Authority policy at this site requires no smoking, vaping or tobacco use on the property or during staff-led patient outings….
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
The Laboratory Technical Specialist performs and analyzes procedures offered by the divisions using appropriate methodologies and quality assurance techniques. The Technical Specialist has the capability to conduct all aspects of procedural and instrument troubleshooting, method evaluation, establishment and maintenance of quality assurance and safety programs
The Technical Specialist will be directly responsible, under the guidance of the Technical Supervisor, for the daily operation of QEII Blood Collection Services ensuring high quality and timely service. The Technical Specialist is responsible for the reassigning of staff and responding to patients concerns. The Laboratory Technical Specialist is responsible for the coordination of quality improvement within the Laboratory Client and Support Centre, including maintaining and updating of procedures, monthly quality audits and patient safety reports. Under the direction of the Technical Supervisor, the Technical Specialist is responsible for the implementation of corrective actions as required. The Technical Specialist will work closely with the Laboratory Client and Support Centre management team when implementing change. The Technical specialist will be responsible for training of staff and student placements.
The Laboratory Technical Specialist must demonstrate leadership skills and will have administrative responsibilities in the Laboratory Client and Support Centre such as scheduling and time capture. The Technical Specialist will provide, as required, support to Offsite Blood Collection, Central Accessioning and Central Reporting.
* Must be a graduate from an approved program in Medical Laboratory Technology plus three years experience
* Certification with CSMLS and NSCMLT is required.
* Must be able to recognize abnormal situations and respond appropriately
* In depth knowledge and experience with Cerner LIS is essential
* Previous experience with Blood Collection is preferred
* Must have demonstrated strong customer service skills; leadership skills; excellent organization and technical skills; as well as good decision-making skills
* Ability to communicate effectively and professionally
* Travel will be required
* Experience with Microsoft office Excel an asset.
* Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
* Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
* Long assignment full-time position; 75 hours biweekly
* Beginning January 1, 2017 with an expected end date of December 30, 2017
* Shift work may be required including weekends, holidays
* Travel between sites required
Medical Laboratory Technologist C:
$30.0851 – $36.5234 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a NSGEU Healthcare Agreement – Healthcare Bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment at this site.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority policy at this site requires no smoking, vaping or tobacco use on the property or during staff-led patient outings. This means not using any tobacco products, other smoked or heated substances, electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), cigars, pipes, vape pens and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) at any time.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Posted on: 2016-12-06