OverviewCapital District Health Authority Dosimetrist – Radiation Therapy Full Time in Halifax, NS
Capital District Health Authority
Branch Halifax NS CA
Dosimetrist – Radiation Therapy
CT, MRI and PET imaging and cyclotron facilities are on site. The treatment facility in Halifax includes seven Varian linear accelerators, including five…
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
The Department of Medical Physics of Nova Scotia Health Authority, Atlantic Canada’s largest academic health care organization, is recruiting a Medical Dosimetrist for the Cancer Care Program at the QEII Health Sciences Centre site in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Medical Dosimetrist is a vital member of the cancer care team bringing skill and knowledge relevant to radiation therapy treatment planning and delivery. Joining the current compliment of 6 fulltime Medical Dosimetrists, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing radiation therapy treatment planning for patients undergoing radiation therapy for cancer treatment. In addition to working with radiation therapists, medical physicists, and radiation oncologists, the successful candidate will assist in the teaching of medical dosimetry to radiation oncology residents, and medical physics residents and other trainees.
The treatment facility in Halifax includes seven Varian linear accelerators, including five TrueBeam units, one equipped with stereoscopic imaging and robotic guidance. A progressive range of radiation treatment is offered, including VMAT for a majority of radical cases, cranial SRS/SRT and SBRT for lung, liver and spine indications, and VMAT-based Total Marrow Irradiation. External beam planning systems include Eclipse and iPlan, both deployed through a thin client architecture, and Oncentra for HDR brachytherapy. CT, MRI and PET imaging and cyclotron facilities are on site.
The qualified candidate must satisfy ONE of the following:
1. Hold the Medical Dosimetrist Certification Board (MDCB) Certified Medical Dosimetrist (CMD) credential;
2. Be eligible for certification by the Medical Dosimetrist Certification Board (MDCB) at the time of application, see http://www.mdcb.org/certification-exam-information/eligibility;
3. Be capable of successful completion of a JRCERT Dosimetry Program in order to become eligible for certification by the MDCB. Following completion of a JRCERT Dosimetry Program, this offer is contingent upon successful completion of the MDCB certification exam by December 31, 2020.
In addition, the successful candidate will possess:
* The Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists Dosimetry Certificate (CDC), see http://www.camrt.ca/professional-development/certificate-programs/cdc/
* An in depth knowledge of treatment planning and the physical principles of dose calculation
* Experience in CT and MRI imaging for radiation therapy treatment planning
* A demonstrated record of teaching or mentoring
* An ability to work independently and within a cohesive team
* Exceptional organizational and time management skills with the ability to identify priorities
* An ability to maintain confidentiality
* Demonstrated ability to work constructively and positively within a small team environment
* Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
* Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
Hours of Work
* Permanent Full-time Position; 75 hours biweekly
$42.4546 – $46.0173 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a NSGEU Healthcare Agreement – Healthcare Bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment at this site.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority policy at this site requires no smoking, vaping or tobacco use on the property or during staff-led patient outings. This means not using any tobacco products, other smoked or heated substances, electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), cigars, pipes, vape pens and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) at any time.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Posted on: 2016-09-20