OverviewCapital District Health Authority Discharge Patient Navigator – Cardiology Part Time in Halifax, NS
Capital District Health Authority
Branch Halifax NS CA
Discharge Patient Navigator – Cardiology
Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office programs and conducting internet research. The Discharge Patient Navigator will be responsible to work with…
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
The Discharge Patient Navigator will be responsible to work with all heart failure (HF) patients admitted to 6.2 and their team of caregivers to assess the patient progress on the Heart Failure Pathway ensuring that appropriate discharge targets are met. As a member of the team the patient navigator is responsible for the early identification of discharge barriers and the development of mitigation strategies to overcome them. The Navigator will be required to build collaborative relationships with other health care providers and the heart failure clinic in the delivery of quality patient care. Possessing expert clinical knowledge as it relates to HF treatment, the HF pathway will assist you in providing optimal quality care within the designated targeted length of stay. The Navigator will be a first contact and ambassador for admitted HF patients who may or may not be followed by the Heart Failure Team. She/he will liaise with the patient and team to facilitate the coordination of the patient¿s in-hospital care and will participate in daily morning and bullet rounds. Detailed patient assessments will be completed including a review of medical and social history with an early focus on discharge planning. The Discharge Navigator will be one of the team of clinicians and educators who will work with the patient and family to help support their decision-making as it relates to new treatments and therapies. Patient progress on the clinical pathway and goal attainment will be communicated to the team daily. Additionally, the navigator will be responsible for gathering data related to the pathway, length of stay and barriers to discharge.
* Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with current certification of registration in the province of NS
* Minimum 3 years nursing experience in Cardiovascular Nursing
* Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills with an emphasis on leadership, decision-making, critical thinking skills, motivation, consultative approach and the ability to conceptualize and plan
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholder groups
* Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office programs and conducting internet research
* Evidence of initiative
* Able to work independently and as part of a team
* Experience with patient and stakeholder education
* Experience delivering presentations to large and small groups
* Experience leading and implementing new initiatives
* Experience establishing and measuring outcome indicators
* Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
* Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
* Permanent part-time (50%) position; 37.5 hours biweekly
$32.6817 – $38.6306 hourly
($39.9824 hourly with 25 years RN experience)
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a NSGEU Nursing Agreement – Nursing Bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment at this site.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority policy at this site requires no smoking, vaping or tobacco use on the property or during staff-led patient outings. This means not using any tobacco products, other smoked or heated substances, electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), cigars, pipes, vape pens and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) at any time.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Posted on: 2016-11-02