OverviewCapital District Health Authority Dietetic Technician – Food & Nutrition Services Full Time in Halifax, NS
Capital District Health Authority
Branch Halifax NS CA
Dietetic Technician – Food & Nutrition Services
Food Service Supervisor certification or acceptable equivalent (2-3 years undergraduate program in food and nutrition or a combination of nutrition and food…
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Under the direction of the Dietitian and/or Supervisor, the Dietetic Technician (DT) conducts nutrition risk screening based on a pre-defined program. Using the established criteria, the DT identifies patients at risk and refers these patients to the Dietitian. The DT interviews patients, documents pertinent information and calculates Body Mass Index (BMI) and percentage of unintentional weight loss as appropriate. The DT is responsible for completing various menu management activities, including visiting patients through meal rounds and inputting meal and/or nourishment information into the computerized menu management system to meet patients’ diet/food requirements and to optimize and encourage oral intake. In addition, the DT is responsible for straight-forward nutrition education.
* Food Service Supervisor certification or acceptable equivalent (2-3 years undergraduate program in food and nutrition or a combination of nutrition and food service courses)
* General knowledge of the function and operation of Food and Nutrition Services, with particular knowledge of quantity and quality food service to patients
* Knowledge of therapeutic diets and basic nutrition
* Knowledge and basic skills for computer usage
* Excellent communication, teaching, time management and organizational skills
*Competencies in other languages preferred; French an asset
* Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on equivalents must demonstrate such equivalency in their applications.
Candidates will not be considered for an interview IF applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
*Long Assignment Full-time Position; 75 hours bi-weekly
*Beginning September 1, 2015 with an expected end date of July 24, 2016
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a NSGEU Healthcare Agreement – Healthcare Bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment at this site.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority policy at this site requires no smoking, vaping or tobacco use on the property or during staff-led patient outings. This means not using any tobacco products, other smoked or heated substances, electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), cigars, pipes, vape pens and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) at any time.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Posted on: 2015-07-30