OverviewCapital District Health Authority Clinical Assistant – Vascular Surgery Full Time in Halifax, NS
Capital District Health Authority
Branch Halifax NS CA
Clinical Assistant – Vascular Surgery
Manage the day-to-day care of patients including writing medical orders on charts and responding to emergencies in consultation with attending staff;…
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Under the supervision of the Division Chief, the Clinical Assistant functions as a member of the Vascular Surgery team, liaising with nursing, house staff, attending staff and other members of the health care team in the development and implementation of the overall patient care plan. Manage the day-to-day care of patients including writing medical orders on charts and responding to emergencies in consultation with attending staff; arrange consultations with other departments for care and investigations; participate in on-call responsibilities of the services; perform procedures within the scope of his/her demonstrated competence and privileges and according to established policies or protocols. These include but are not limited to: insertion of peripheral intravenous lines, initiation of intravenous medication, taking blood samples for diagnostic purposes or arterial blood gases, insertion of Foley catheters, insertion and removal of intra-aortic balloon pumps, insertion of central lines, arterial lines, removal of chest tubes, intubation and management of ventilation, adjustment of inotropes and vasopressors. In any and all of the above the Assistant will not proceed until full training and competence has been established with sign off by the Division Head or his/her designate. Candidate must be able to make sound decisions and communicate effectively.
- Must meet the requirements to obtain a Clinical Assistant License from The College of Physicians and Surgeon of Nova Scotia (http://cpsns.ns.ca/definedlicense.aspx)
- Must have obtained (in writing) Review of Qualifications from The College of Physicians and Surgeon of Nova Scotia prior to application deadline
- CMPA coverage mandatory
- ACLS certification required
- Good command of written and spoken English. Must be able to promote and maintain good interpersonal skills
- Prior experience in the area of General Surgery is an asset
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred REMOVE
- Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
- Physical demand – Must be able to sit, stand, walk and perform duties as outlined above
- Mental and Visual demand ¿ High; must be able to deal with stressful situations
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
Hours of Work
- Short assignment full-time position
- 8:00 am to 6:00 pm; 48 hours per week inclusive of on-call participation
- Beginning October 15, 2015 with an expected end date of April 17, 2015
Clinical Assistant (Specialty):
$43.8744 – $55.8848 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment at this site.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority policy at this site requires no smoking, vaping or tobacco use on the property or during staff-led patient outings. This means not using any tobacco products, other smoked or heated substances, electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), cigars, pipes, vape pens and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) at any time.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-23