OverviewCapilano University Photo Journalist Part Time in North Vancouver, BC
Branch North Vancouver BC CA
North Vancouver, BC
Ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner in both verbal and written form, and to understand complex verbal and written information….
This is complex and technical digital content production work in support of marketing and communications strategies for the University. The incumbent is a storyteller: specializing in video, photography and writing for the web. As a member of the University’s Communications & Marketing team, works in cooperation with the University community to interpret strategy and to develop, produce and maintain a wide range of marketing communications content over multiple platforms. University brand-driven content encompasses a wide range of digital assets, including written communications, photography and video. This content is created for websites, mobile media devices, social media initiatives, marketing publications, advertising and special projects. The Photo Journalist reports to the Director, Marketing and Communications.
– Consults, researches, organizes information and conducts interviews for the purpose of writing concise and compelling content for a wide range of online initiatives and target audiences.
– Shoots, edits and publishes photography and video.
– Meets with project teams and clients to determine expectations and needs. Develops and presents concepts, proposals and work plans.
– Provides accurate estimates of hours and budget required to complete projects, and routinely advises the manager or designated team lead(s) of both project status and variances.
– Creates and maintains files/dockets for project tracking and archiving purposes.
– Collaborates with other specialists, writers, editors, designers and web developers.
– Liaises with suppliers and vendors to: obtain quotes; facilitate production and/or installation; ensure quality control; and troubleshoot.
– Arranges photography and video shoots: sources and secures locations; establishes schedules; liaises with participants. May be asked to take direction from an art director on projects where one is assigned.
– Repurposes content from a variety of sources to create appropriate online content.
– Designs, develops and maintains web pages/content using the University’s content management system.
– Designs graphics and other materials for digital and print applications.
– Obtains clearance and/or final sign off from clients and/or external sources wherever applicable before posting or publishing content, and obtains model releases.
– Tests and adjusts content in various applications.
– Facilitates the archiving and retrieval of content, e.g. digital photo libraries.
– May be called upon to present concepts and proposals to Executive or other groups as directed by the Director.
– May be called upon to assist students on department-approved projects.
– Advises and assists employees in the use of developing technologies.
– Tests and maintains equipment, and attends to equipment malfunctions as required in the Communications & Marketing department. Upgrades equipment and software as needed.
– Performs duties related to the qualifications and requirements of the position.
– May be required to take training and act in the capacity of a floor warden as part of the College’s Emergency Preparedness Plan (Fire, W.H.M.I.S., and Earthquake).
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– Thorough knowledge of business English and writing techniques with an emphasis on organizational storytelling.
– Thorough knowledge of digital photography.
– Thorough knowledge of video pre-production, production and post-production.
– Thorough knowledge of PC and Mac platform.
– Thorough knowledge of web technologies, web design and social media platforms.
– Thorough knowledge of design, image editing and video editing software.
– Thorough knowledge of the integration of web/multimedia production.
– Thorough knowledge of appropriate computer and related equipment maintenance.
– Working knowledge of some current multimedia and/or dynamic web development programming languages.
– Some knowledge of server software, site maintenance software and various protocols.
– Ability to accurately analyze needs of clients, determine optimum media and create well designed products.
– Ability to manage and work on multiple projects and maintain schedules.
– Ability to provide accurate estimates and to budget projects.
– Ability to up-grade training and skills as technologies and applications develop.
– Ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner in both verbal and written form, and to understand complex verbal and written information.
– Ability to provide information and support to University employees on technical and design matters related to multimedia design and development.
– Ability to work with an evolving brand book and to produce photography, video, web and other content that is on brand.
– Ability to work both in a team environment and independently with minimal supervision.
– Ability to meet deadlines.
– Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students, service providers and representatives, vendors and the general public.
– Understanding of storytelling as it applies to photography and video.
– Skill in the operation of the facility’s equipment.
Required Qualifications & Experience
– Completion of a two-year diploma or program in a related field.
– Two years of work experience in multimedia design, production and maintenance.
– A proven portfolio.
Required Licenses, Certificates & Registration
– Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License.
Will hours include evenings, weekends, or non-standard work weeks?
(When applicable only applies to Staff, Admin, & Exempt positions)
Internal or External Position
This is a Staff/Admin position
Appointment End Date (if temporary)
Days and Hours of Work
Temporary Part time On – call hours “as and when” required
Bridge Period (if applicable)
$26.57 – $29.88 per hour
Workload Amount (Number of Sections)
Application Types Accepted
Special Terms and Instructions
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter, resume and proof of education.
Capilano University is an equal opportunity employer.
Membership in MoveUp is a condition of employment.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: North Vancouver, BC, CA
Posted on: 2018-01-11