OverviewCanadian Red Cross Tier 1 Help Desk Technician Full Time in Burnaby, BC
Canadian Red Cross
Branch Burnaby BC CA
Tier 1 Help Desk Technician
Manager, IS Support Services. Builds rapport and elicits problem details from service desk customers. Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills,…
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Classification: IS 2
The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is seeking a Tier 1 Technician in the Information Services (IS) department. Reporting to the Manager, IS Support Services, this position assists CRCS staff and volunteers requiring assistance from the Information Services Department.
- Fields incoming requests to the Service Desk via both telephone and e-mail to ensure courteous, timely and effective resolution of end user issues.
- Documents all pertinent end user identification information, including name, department, contact information and nature of problem or issue.
- Builds rapport and elicits problem details from service desk customers.
- Prioritizes, schedules and escalates problem (when required) to the appropriately experienced technician.
- Records, tracks and documents the service desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Applies diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Accesses knowledge bases and FAQ resources on the Internet/Intranet to aid in problem resolution.
- Identifies and learns appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Performs post-resolution follow ups to help requests.
- Develops help sheets and FAQ lists for end users.
- Reinforces SLAs to manage end-user expectations.
Education and Experience:
The minimum qualifications for this position include completion of a post secondary education in computer science and between two (2) to four (4) years of job related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of computer hardware and software, including MS Windows OS, thin client devices, MS Office.
- Working knowledge of desktop and server operating systems, including Windows Server Citrix, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange and BES.
Abilities and Skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening and questioning skills
- Familiarity with the fundamental principles of ITIL
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Certifications in A+, Network+, MCDST, HDI CSR
- Fluency in a second language, French is preferred
- Experience working with a diverse population, and an understanding of cultural issues
- The majority of the work is performed in an office environment
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals
- Occasional requirement to work overtime hours, often with short notice
This position is subject to the satisfactory completion of a Criminal Record Check
Interested parties may submit their cover letter and resume, by quoting competition 15-0624-A by August 28, 2015 to:
The Canadian Red Cross Society
Attn: John Clarke
Manager, IS Support Services
E-mail: [email protected]
The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that relocation funding is not available for this position.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-18