Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet School Residence Administrative Counsellor Full Time in Winnipeg, MB
Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
School Residence Administrative Counsellor
Excellent written and verbal communication skills – resolving conflicts and negotiating with others – handling complaints, settling disputes, and resolving…
Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet is looking for a School Residence Administrative Counsellor.
Status: Full time with Benefits
Location: Winnipeg MB
Start Date : October 15, 2016
As the School Residence Administrative Counsellor you will manage the daily operations of residence, while providing a safe, healthy, supportive environment so that each student may pursue their goal of becoming a professional dancer. In addition, the Administrative Counsellor plans quality extra-curricular activities for Royal Winnipeg Ballet School student’s ages 11 through 20 years participating in our professional Division and Dance Intensive programs.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, coordinate and oversee counselling staff scheduling including all transportation requirements of the residence students; arrange medical and non-medical appointments for students, including transportation to and from.
- Prepares written materials (.e. reports, memos, letters, procedures, manuals etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information.
- Actively participate in staff meetings as required.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws, RWBS policies, and administrative regulations.
- With the support of the Residence Counselling team plan quality extra-curricular activities; plan activity packages and coordinate with the School Office on distribution; work with the School Office to monitor activity registration. Delegate activities to Residence Counsellors with appropriate follow up.
- Responds to emergencies for the purpose of determining and implementing appropriate actions required to resolve situations.
- Establish and enforce administration policies and rules governing student behavior.
- Submits weekly payroll timesheets to the Dean of Residence for final approval.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates – Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Under the direction of the Dean of Residence:
- Plan, direct, and participate in recruitment and enrollment activities;
- Assess seasonal hiring needs, and actively participates in the hiring process, including New Hire Orientation;
- Supervises department functions including hiring/termination recommendations, planning/scheduling/coordinating activities, and training, advising, and consulting etc. for the purpose of ensuring that the department functions in a safe and efficient manner.
- Communicate with external vendors in the planning and executing of extra-curricular activates and keeps all internal stakeholders informed of these plans.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Communicate with students and family members/legal guardians of students with regard to extra-curricular activities.
- Confer with the Dean of Residence to discuss students’ progress, behavioral, academic, and other issues that may arise, and to determine priorities for students and their resource needs in a timely manner for resolution that supports the mandate above.
- Communicate with students, parents and staff on student progress and residence life.
- Ensure that all extra-curricular activities come in on budget and that fees are set appropriately, with support from the Dean.
- Prepare daily/weekly deposits, and purchase order invoicing.
As the RWB School Residence Administrative Counsellor you will be working in a fast paced environment with constant interruptions, utilizing standard office equipment. This position requires constant and ongoing communication with Residence Counsellors, the Dean of Residence, students and parents / guardians, community resources including schools and colleges.
Education and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in Psychology, Social Work, Social Sciences or the Humanities, or a suitable combination of education and work experience.
- Two years progressive responsibility in a secretarial or clerical position.
- Computer literate and working knowledge with Excel, Outlook, and other internal software as it relates to the role.
- Experience working with adolescents and young adults.
- Ability to relate positively to adolescents.
- Ability to be a caring, nurturing, trustworthy authority figure.
- Experience in staff supervision preferably in a school residence environment.
- Knowledge of budget preparation.
- Clear Criminal background Check.
- Child Abuse Registry Check.
- Class IV Driver’s License.
- First Aid and CPR Certification.
Skills and Specifications:
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems – analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Organizing, planning, and prioritizing Work – developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – resolving conflicts and negotiating with others – handling complaints, settling disputes, and resolving grievances and conflicts, or otherwise negotiating with others.
- Scheduling work and activities – scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others.
- Excellent observation and analytical abilities – ability to evaluate information to determine compliance with standards – using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Coordinating the work and activities of others – getting members of a group to work together to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Multicultural experience with the ability to work with a diverse and international student population.
- Creative and self-motivated with leadership experience.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments, ambiguity, conflicting demands and priorities.
- Ability to handle extremely sensitive and confidential matters discreetly.
- Knowledge and/or experience in residence life.
Please submit your resume in confidence by September 28, 2016.
Job Type: Full-time
Required license or certification: