OverviewCanada Post Officer, Route Measurement Full Time in Edmonton, AB
Branch Edmonton AB CA
Officer, Route Measurement
Spot-checking route inventories against actual street conditions to ensure that correct values have been recorded, changes are reflected, and volume counts and…
If you are ambitious, talented and driven, consider a fast-moving career with Canada Post. We are currently seeking an Officer, Route Measurement, to apply the Letter Carrier (LC) and Mail Service Courier (MSC) Route Measurement systems to restructure routes and ensure equitable workloads. Under the direction of the Superintendent, Route Measurement, you will provide updates and guidance to front line supervisors, superintendents and management in Collection and Delivery and work to resolve individual route design problems and inequities by validating the application of structuring principles and adjusting routes where applicable.
The successful candidate will:
- Restructure LC and MSC routes for a designated area of Delivery Services by applying the LC and MSC Route Measurement Systems and administering all phases of the process
- Act as the subject matter expert to provide updates and guidance on the Route Measurement program and systems to front line supervisors, superintendents and managers to ensure understanding and consistent application by: providing on the job training sessions to supervisors on the proper method of taking, revising and updating inventories, summaries and workload assessments; checking route assessments and work standards; assessing the number of additional routes required for areas of new growth; advising on program updates and reporting requirements; and explaining the program, answering questions and advising on solutions to problems in delivery service
- Resolve LC and MSC delivery route design and workload inequities and conduct route adjustments in an assigned area by: accompanying the supervisor or the LC or the MSC on the route when necessary to observe problems first hand; checking the existing and proposed route assessments for correct calculations, volume counts, and the application of time values; determining remedial action including possible alterations to the route structure or structuring new routes, taking into account possible adverse effects on production standards or increased costs resulting from changes; reviewing loop sequencing, line of travel problems and making any necessary adjustments; recommending the revision to the Superintendent; and assisting and advising the LC supervisor(s) and the MSC supervisor(s) in implementing the changes
- Review, on a regular basis, changes related to street furniture and commercial pickup requests, make any route adjustments necessary, implement changes using the required software and all electronic reports submitted as per requirements
- Periodically audit and review all aspects of the Route Measurement Program based on reports received for the assigned area by: spot-checking route inventories against actual street conditions to ensure that correct values have been recorded, changes are reflected, and volume counts and transportation are recorded to ensure that the correct tables and time values have been utilized; auditing the routes of other officers; checking all calculations on the various forms for accuracy; analyzing monthly reports on route measurement activity submitted by supervisors to ensure that any overload situations have been corrected; recommending remedial action for problems identified during the review, and identifying inconsistencies or difficulties in the interpretation or application of the Program and recommending solutions to the Manager
- Participate in communicating restructuring results in union/management consultations, develop reports, rationales and detailed explanations, translating very technical information for a non-technical audience and, occasionally, appear before arbitration boards to help explain the LCRMS, MSCWSS and overall route measurement process
Job requirements (Education and Work experience):
1. High School diploma or provincial equivalent (GED)
2. ONE of the requirements below
a. A post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree in any of the following areas: urban planning, geographical information systems, graphic design, rural planning or any related discipline
b. A minimum of two years working experience in delivery services or delivery optimization (e.g. RSO, RMO, DSO)
c. A minimum of two years working experience in Canada Post Collection and Delivery or two years experience working in transportation and logistics network planning AND experience with any of the following software: AutoCAD, Netsuite applications (i.e. Visual Studio), Microsoft Visio, Google SketchUp, Oracle or other related software. (“Experience” is defined as the ability to create a process, a structure, an application or an object.)
1. Possess a valid permanent provincial drivers license
2. Have a satisfactory safe driving record (Please note: you may be required to submit a driver’s abstract to validate your driving record)
3. Frequent/extensive travel away from the home office or home region, which may include the need for overnight stays in hotels
As part of the selection process selected candidates will be required to complete a security screening process
Our Leadership Behaviours and Corporate Values:
Decision Making – A champion of the organization who takes calculated risks and makes prudent, common sense decisions about current issues, future opportunities and resource requirements in a timely, well thought out manner, that aligns with the corporation’s best interests.
Accountability – An individual who strives for performance excellence and who holds him/herself and direct reports accountable for decisions and actions and for learning from mistakes when intended results are not achieved.
Business Orientation – A proactive individual who understands the competitive nature of the business, and is committed to sustaining the business through excellent customer service and new business opportunities.
Execution – A focused and self motivated individual who acts with a sense of urgency and delivers on time and within budget, by dealing effectively with challenges and ambiguous situations.
Leading People – A compelling communicator and leader who engages, motivates and inspires others to achieve results and who encourages personal growth and finding better ways of doing things.
Other information about this job:
- Must be willing and able to be assigned for considerable periods of time to any office within the Division.
- May be required to work evening and weekend shifts
Canada Post offers:
A total compensation package
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive program
- Comprehensive individual and family benefits coverage
- Vacation and leave options
- Defined Benefit component of the Canada Post Registered Pension Plan
A strong community of employees
- Our employees drive innovation and ensure that our business continues to evolve to meet our customers’ changing needs
The satisfaction of a job well done
- You’ll be part of a winning team that touches the lives of millions
Careers that deliver:
If you’re ready to make a difference and discover your full potential, Canada Post delivers a variety of exciting and challenging career opportunities across the country. As one of Canada’s largest employers we’re committed to attracting, retaining and developing a winning team to meet the evolving needs of Canadians and secure our future.
Canada Post is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.
If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Posted on: 2015-01-24