OverviewCalgary Board of Education Statistician Temporary in Calgary, AB
Calgary Board of Education
Branch Calgary AB CA
Works closely with staff from the Department of Information Technology Systems and Information Management to determine the capabilities and usability of new…
The purpose of this job is to provide support, assistance and services in the development of the Calgary Board of Education’s information management strategy including Annual Educational Results Report, and other educational reports, including annual student achievement results reports and survey results reports. This job is responsible for collecting, analyzing and interpreting data, applying statistical methods and analysis software, and for providing useful information and data for research and project-related activities in Learning.
This job is accountable for providing support and ensuring accurate data for the work of Learning and for providing a data and analysis service to CBE service units, and schools to support decision making and advance outcomes of quality learning.
- Provides support for the development of learning and operational outcomes reports:
- Annual student achievement reports for grades 6, 9 provincial achievement tests and grade 12 diploma examinations, including statistical analyses.
- Annual Educational Results Report.
- Annual survey results reports
- Special project reports as assigned
- Develops processes and instruments and formulates methods for required data-gathering as part of an information management system strategy. Organizes the capture, verification and processing of data using custom design software.
- Undertakes the scoring and interpretation of data from standardized testing and ensures the maintenance of accurate results.
- Provides expertise in the design of surveys such as sampling frame development and maintenance, form design, data collection, editing and analysis of data.
- Participates in the analysis of achievement test and diploma examination results. Produces relevant statistics to describe results and show trends and patterns.
- Provides statistical and analytical support in the preparation of reports for research and for external reporting. Creates graphs, charts, tables of data and interprets results.
- Participates in developing accountability measures and management controls to monitor and improve education performance.
- Serves as a resource and provides technical support to schools on published tests, data management issues, survey development and statistical techniques to solve problems.
- Works closely with staff from the Department of Information Technology Systems and Information Management to determine the capabilities and usability of new information systems.
- Participates in the design of departmental presentation materials such as slide shows and posters for use at workshops and the annual system celebration of learning events.
- Works with teams on initiatives to improve education and management information. Investigates and identifies information from external sources to meet Learning needs and requirements.
- Serves as mentor and resource to staff responsible for the routine work involved in the collection and analysis of data.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned to meet the purpose and accountabilities of the role.
Education and Experience
- The completion of a Bachelor’s Degree with a major in statistics or its equivalent.
- Graduate level studies desirable.
- Sound theoretical and practical knowledge of program evaluation, quantitative and qualitative measures, statistical analysis, and survey design.
- Two years of related experience or the completion of a related Masters’ Degree.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated trustworthiness and integrity.
- Demonstrated comfort with ambiguity and openness to change.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Personal suitability.
This position is a temporary term position, ending June 30, 2018.
The immediate priority for this position is the design and creation of a valid, reliable student survey meaningful to the CBE context and based on current research.
The successful candidate will:
– provide high-level strategic analysis of the student survey project and recommend specific survey research, design and result analysis methodology;
– execute flexible design, aligning survey objectives and measurements with the team’s long term research and strategy (note: consideration of comprehension variance, population classification and language used in survey is essential); and
– implement and support interpretation and presentation of result statistical analysis and distribution in a visual and impactful client-friendly fashion (clear, understandable – written and verbally).
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to the Calgary Board of Education WHO ARE OFFERED EMPLOYMENT must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-11