OverviewCalgary Board of Education School Secretary / Office Assistant (Casual Roster – Various Schools) Temporary in Calgary, AB
Calgary Board of Education
Branch Calgary AB CA
School Secretary / Office Assistant (Casual Roster – Various Schools)
Assists teachers with clerical and typing tasks. From established lists, may sell bus passes and maintain clerical records of amount received and passes issued….
The purpose of this position is to perform clerical duties in support of, and to assist, in the day-to-day operation of the school. Maintains filing systems and computerized records related to students, accounting, inventories and other related school and/or office matters.
- Answers telephones and switchboard, relays messages, makes appointments and supplies factual information to callers. Telephones parents concerning student absenteeism, check-outs, or early dismissals.
- Assists in dealing with counter inquiries. Supplies verbal information, makes appointments, distributes forms, student numbers and other specific information. May receive and register substitute teachers. Files and searches office records.
- May be delegated responsibility for documentation of student registrations, withdrawals, transfers, late attendance, misbehaviour referrals, detentions and attendance records. May request or forward Cumulative Record Folders for transferred pupils.
- May operate public address and intercom systems. Assists teachers with clerical and typing tasks. Processes incoming and outgoing mail. Maintains wall charts, bulletin boards, and other informational materials.
- Utilizes various kinds of automated equipment such as calculators, fax machines and microcomputers. Accesses computerized applications related to student systems, financial systems and purchasing systems. Operates various kinds of duplicating equipment for high volume reproduction.
- Checks, codes, and processes various documents. Prepares lists and tabulations which may involve arithmetic calculations. Compiles standardized reports and summaries from readily identifiable data.
- Maintains office supplies. Places orders and/or arranges for delivery of goods and services. Prepares files for storage, moves, and stacks filing cartons, retrieves and sorts stored material.
- Acts as cashier to receive monies, issues change and receipts, prepares bank deposits and prepares cash receipt records and summaries. From established lists, may sell bus passes and maintain clerical records of amount received and passes issued. May assist the school’s Business Office.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High school completion.
- Enrolled in, or courses towards, a recognized post-secondary Administrative Information Management Diploma or Office Assistant Certificate.
- Minimum one year related experience in an office environment or completion of a recognized post-secondary certificate or diploma in office administration or its equivalent with successful practicum experience.
- Other equivalent combinations of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and the appropriate second language in schools for bilingual programs is a strong asset.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping and office / records management.
- Strong data entry skills with an emphasis on accuracy.
- Ability to use computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, email and other information management tools.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Very good time management, prioritization, multitasking and organizational skills.
- Ability to adapt and manage change.
- Strong verbal and listening communication skills, combined with good written communication skills and very good interpersonal skills.
- Ability and success in building productive relationships with co-workers, staff and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Professionalism, tact, courtesy and diplomacy skills.
- Ability to deal with sensitive and discretionary matters and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Good problem-solving and good decision making skills.
- Use of appropriate judgement in a framework of predetermined methods, protocols and procedures.
- Trustworthiness, integrity, dependability and reliability.
- Personal suitability.
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to the Calgary Board of Education WHO ARE OFFERED EMPLOYMENT must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-11