OverviewCalgary Board of Education Bridges Support Worker -Casual Roster | Various Schools Temporary in Calgary, AB
Calgary Board of Education
Branch Calgary AB CA
Bridges Support Worker -Casual Roster | Various Schools
As part of a multidisciplinary team participates in the design, assessment and support of the Individual Program Plan (IPP) and Behaviour Support Plan (BSP) by…
Under the accountability of the Principal and the supervision of the Teacher and/or Principal, this position acts as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide curriculum support, instruction and behavioural program implementation for 8 students in a classroom setting where students, from grades one to nine, exhibit severe, disruptive behaviours that interfere with learning. Students in these programs typically have a variety of academic/learning issues, medical, psychological, psychiatric and social challenges.
This position is accountable for:
- Supporting the Individual Program Plan and Behaviour Support Plans for students;
- Liaison with other professionals; and
- Providing a broad spectrum of activities and experiences to students.
- As part of a multidisciplinary team participates in the design, assessment and support of the Individual Program Plan (IPP) and Behaviour Support Plan (BSP) by documenting behavioural issues and concerns; recording qualitative and quantitative data related to the student’s behaviour; communicating information to parents/guardians in order to assist students with the achievement of IPP goals.
- Provides a broad spectrum of activities and experiences by delivering individual and small group instruction such as anger management and social skills development in order to address the goals of the IPP.
- Performs responsibilities in a professional manner by acting in ways that are consistent with recognizing and respecting each other, and maintains positive working relationships leading to quality learning experiences for students.
- Contributes proactively to the safety and security of the learning environment by implementing appropriate interventions; providing personal care as required, administering First Aid; ensuring adherence to safety standards; storing and distributing medications as per CBE policy; may be required to monitor the medical needs of the student in order to promote the safety of the child and others.
- Ensures compliance with school guidelines and fulfill employment contract by performing a variety of operational functions in adherence with Occupational Health, FOIP, CBE policy, practice and procedures in order to fulfill the responsibilities and the expectations of the role.
- Maintains current certification, including specialized education, in order to contribute to the development of supporting roles and maintenance of standards.
Education and Experience
- Two year Diploma in a related field such as Child and Youth Care, Justice, Social Work, etc.
- One year of experience in a related field
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and directly related experience may be considered
- Certification in Standard First Aid and Therapeutic Crisis Intervention course or equivalent
- Knowledge of related support agencies and professionals within the community
- Certification in Child and Youth Care from Child and Youth Care Association of Alberta (achieved while working) preferred
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies
- Ability and willingness to obtain course work/ training such as ADD, ADHD, FAS, FAE, ODD, and OCD
- Ability to build relationships with students who have severe emotional/ behavioural disabilities
- Ability to maintain enthusiasm and commitment with children
- Personal suitability
Preference given to those candidates who have demonstrated experience and abilities in the following areas:
Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH)
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to the Calgary Board of Education WHO ARE OFFERED EMPLOYMENT must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Posted on: 2016-11-01