OverviewBP NAGP Calgary Lead Developer Full Time in Calgary, AB
Branch Calgary AB CA
NAGP Calgary Lead Developer
In particular, the candidate should have the ability to develop complex Excel solutions that may be stand-alone or incorporate other tools and information…
Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) is accountable for all of BP’s oil, gas, power, chemical and financial supply, trading and shipping activities. IST’s strategic vision is to build a world class organisation that: – maximises the inherent value in BP’s asset base – is based on world class infrastructure, assurance, control and efficiency; thereby creating a platform for growth – attracts and develops the highest quality people for superb performance. IST is an information-intensive business. It relies on systems to keep in touch with the market, to transact business and to analyze and understand risks and exposure. The Information Technology & services team (IT&S) that supports IST undertakes the development, support and on-going maintenance of application systems, both packaged and bespoke.
Key accountabilities The Developers in Calgary focus on delivering fast, custom, high business value solutions to the business using agile tools and technologies. The team builds solutions for all areas of IST from trading through to settlement and back-office functions. They have a great deal of interaction with Business Users and other IT&S teams to develop and support existing tools. All members of the team have business-facing roles that require a mix of technical, business and soft skills. This Lead Developer role is responsible for developing and supporting numerous small and medium applications and tools locally and must be able to work with larger teams in supporting core applications. They will work in a full software development life-cycle environment participating in requirements gathering, design, development, testing, documenting, delivery and support. In addition, the Developer should have extensive experience with Excel, VBA, SQL and other development technologies. In particular, the candidate should have the ability to develop complex Excel solutions that may be stand-alone or incorporate other tools and information sources. In addition, they must be able to articulate their technical knowledge and how this translates to a solution.
Essential Education N/A
Essential experience and job requirements
• 10+ years of development experience
• 10+ years experience working in an energy trading environment and understanding of the business and related business roles.
• Extensive experience and skills in developing complex Excel solutions , windows forms, web scraping, and windows service-based tools.
• Strong analysis, design and development background in order to build sophisticated web-based tools using ASP.NET, C#, C or C++ and VB.NET.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills (with both business users and IT staff) are required, including a high comfort level interacting with non-technical people
• Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills, often collaborating with non-technical end users
• Experience gathering and documenting system requirements.
• Rigorous attention to detail and apply standards thoroughly.
• Excellent team working skills with local and geographically distributed teams.
• Ability to quickly learn new technologies
• Strong skills in applying User Interface design principles to applications design
• Familiarity with NAGP systems such as Epsilon, Entegrate, Energy Trader, and Progas systems.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location) N/A
Desirable criteria & qualifications
• Experience in Powerbuilder, Business Objects, MS Access technologies
• Systems Analysis, including intra system, cross system, and architectural considerations
• High self-motivation and delivery focus
• Business Analysis, including business process analysis and solution design
• Database architectural design, including designing data structures, referential integrity constraints, transaction management
• Good knowledge of relational database (MS SQL Server, Oracle, SQL for Sybase)
• Proactive in identifying and resolving issues
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Experience successfully leading small to mid-size software development projects
• Experience with Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012
Relocation available No
Travel required Negligible travel
Is this a part time position? No
About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) is BP’s face to the traded markets for BP in oil, gas, power, chemicals and finance. IST’s role is to enhance Group value through distinctive supply, commodity trading, risk management and information technology skills underpinned by a world class finance, control and compliance infrastructure. IST has a dynamic and highly skilled workforce, which creates value by combining analysis and commercial innovation with the material asset base of BP.
IST fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace for all employees. We are proud of our stance on fairness, equal opportunity and meritocracy, which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential.
IST Information Technology & Services (IT&S) is the progressive global IT arm of BP. The expertise IT&S provides is central to the operation and development of Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) – one of the world’s largest energy trading businesses. Delivering innovative solutions for supply and commodity trading activity across IST’s Global Gas and Oil Strategic Performance Units is at the heart of what IT&S does.
Our people and culture are diverse, reflecting the truly global nature of our business – in excess of 500 employees provide a presence in over 50 countries, with key hubs in London, Chicago, Houston, Calgary and Singapore. We support our people by offering an exciting variety of professions and provide excellent training opportunities to help them progress their careers.
Segment Integrated Supply & Trading
Closing Date 6/4/2015 12:00:00 AM
Disclaimer If you are applying to a position in the US and you are an individual with disability or a disabled veteran and would like any type of assistance to apply or to access or to attend any recruitment or selection event or process, we would like to help you to ensure that your application process goes as smoothly as possible. If you need assistance, information, or answers to your questions, feel free to contact us or have any of your representatives contact us at BP US Application Assistance [email protected] Telephone: 281.366.1999
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Posted on: 2015-05-24