OverviewBMO Financial Group Intake Consultant Full Time in Montréal, QC
BMO Financial Group
Branch Montréal QC CA
Resolve or escalate complex or sensitive issues raised by branches, law enforcement or customers. Partner with law enforcement and other Financial Institutions…
The mandate of the Investigative & Security Services group (I&SS) is to protect BMOFG people, assets and information and provide subject matter expertise and oversight as it relates to criminal risk.
The Intake and Analysis team is the primary first point of contact for the effective oversight and triage of all incidents or events being reported to Investigative & Security Services by BMOFG, law enforcement and other financial institutions. This function supports investigations against people or property of BMOFG through analysis, containment, mitigation and recovery.
The Intake Consultant is the first point of contact and is accountable to ensure incidents are evaluated, investigated, supported or escalated in an appropriate and efficient manner. They will provide SME and consultation services related to suspected criminal activity or securities related activities and validation of incidents. The investigator is responsible to ensure BMO’s FG losses are contained; inquiries are effectively and efficiently resolved or escalated for further investigation.
This role is accountable for supporting the strategic priorities of the Enterprise Criminal Risk Management Framework, including accountability for giving advice, guidance and direction on a range of issues and initiatives supporting and reinforcing BMO FG’s commitment to maximizing shareholder value and contributing to BMO FG’s high performance culture and reputation with shareholders, directors and other stakeholders. Through the effective execution of this role, the impact of criminal risk on the customer will be minimized.
- Accountable for ensuring that all incidents and events reported into Investigative & Security Services are evaluated, managed, initially investigated, close or escalated for further investigation in an appropriate and efficient manner.
- Direct analysts in pulling documentation for incidents reported to Investigative & Security Services, to assist in the investigations, including personally handling escalations if required.
- Accountable for the initial recovery of funds lost or at risk due to fraud.
- Support the development and implementation of programs designed to prevent, identify weaknesses, reduce and recover losses by maximizing the efficiency of the intake and investigative process, including ensuring that policies and procedures are followed and implemented to support the Enterprise Criminal Risk Management Framework.
- Support impacted lines of business, Operating Groups and CSA and the Senior Manager, Enterprise Fraud Management, to develop and implement short, medium and long-term strategic business plans to reduce financial exposures resulting from criminal activity.
- Establish and maintain a liaison with law enforcement agencies and other Financial Institutions to foster collaboration in the investigation of criminal acts against the Bank and in the resolution of problems affecting Bank security as a whole.
- Keep up to date on fraud related issues, and work with external parties as required (e.g. police and other FI’s) to understand the competitive landscape, keep abreast of industry developments and to protect the interests of BMO Financial Group by having an understanding the ever changing fraud landscape.
- Provide content and support communication and educational programs of the Enterprise Criminal Risk Management Framework
- Provide support to BMO Business Lines in the identification of, and recovery of loss events
- Identify trends based on all incidents reported to Investigative & Security Services and communicate them to I&SS Management Team.
- Partner with law enforcement and other Financial Institutions to recover cash or assets in order to minimize the financial loss to BMO
- Lead activities focused on the recovery of funds lost or at risk due to fraud.
- Provide oversight over the analysis of data, collection of evidence and recovery efforts to support investigations.
- Promote continuous improvement of business processes and procedures by providing input and recommendation to the investigators and/or senior analysts or management team.
- Participate with the change process improve operational methods and workflows by identifying, recommending and implementing process improvement initiatives.
- Lead change and role model change leadership behaviours.
- Communicate openly and regularly about business issues and progress
- Establish and maintain value added working relationships with lines of business throughout the organization by providing advice and counsel while ensuring activities are executed according to established procedures.
- Evaluate and validate circumstances requiring exceptions and engage senior management where required for resolution
- Resolve or escalate complex or sensitive issues raised by branches, law enforcement or customers
- Develop and enhance the profile within the community and foster positive relationships with peers, and others as deemed necessary.
- Develop and maintain a strong network of contacts within the bank and financial industry to ensure quick resolution of loss situations and to keep apprised of industry best practices in fraud trends.
- Provide input to the development of the annual business plan, and support meeting annual financial challenges.
- Verify cost effectiveness of all activities and continuously seek productivity and cost reductions initiatives
Business Performance Management
- Deliver value based service that builds trust thru responsive, accurate, consistent, knowledgeable and available services and support
- Provide leadership in collaboration with others to identify and mitigate strategies that effectively manage criminal risk.
- Contribute to BMO Financial Group’s overall business results by making recommendations that improve operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Escalate large losses and/or incidents of concern (gaps or image) to Senior Management
- Demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with “Our Way” model and aligned with BMO values.
- Motivate and influence others in situations which require cooperation and/or consensus.
- Increase the effectiveness and performance by identifying and closing skill knowledge gaps.
- Establish a two-way working relationship with peers to solicit their views on potential changes affecting their work and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Ensure adherence to all aspects of FirstPrinciples, Our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics Corporate Policy, as well as all applicable legislation, regulatory rules and requirements, and Bank standards, and policies
- Follow risk management and control policies, procedures and processes as well as understand the implications & risks of non-adherence.
- Ensure that Investigative & Security Services remains in compliance will all relevant legislation, regulations and Bank policy.
- Ensure strict confidentiality is maintained for both customer and Bank information to protect the customer and the Bank and to ensure compliance with P&Ps.
Ensure that all regulatory and audit guidelines are adhered Regulatory Compliance with applicable Laws
- Ensure compliance relative to mandated reporting and filing such UAR money laundering reporting
- Complete and file regulatory reports.
- Keep current of changes in criminal trends, legislative and regulatory matters.
- Expert knowledge of Bank’s structure, departments and business processes & systems as well as in depth knowledge of financial crimes that have or could potentially be perpetrated against the bank.
- 8 years + knowledge of the financial industry with good experience in financial crimes investigation
- Experience in operational support
- Expert knowledge of various bank systems
- Effective leadership/people management skills
- Effective change management skills
- Effective conflict management/resolution skills
- Expert decision-making skills
- Expert prioritization skills – demonstrated skills in the organization and analysis of information as well as the ability to prioritize work
- Strong communication skills including high degree of “Listening Skills”
- Strong oral and written communication (English & French required) skills coupled with solid interpersonal skills.
At our company, we have been helping our customers and communities for over 195 years. Working with us means being part of a team of talented and passionate individuals with a shared focus on working together to deliver great customer experiences. We stand behind your success with the support you need to turn your potential into performance.
To find out more visit our website at
BMO Financial Group is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By embracing diversity, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-01