OverviewAmnesty International Canada Urgent Action Coordinator Contract in Toronto, ON
Amnesty International Canada
Branch Toronto ON CA
Urgent Action Coordinator
Fluency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel and Internet Explorer. They will understand how to use the internet and social media tools to build communities, and…
Amnesty International is a worldwide movement of 7 million ordinary people in more than 150 countries who come together to achieve extraordinary results in defending and promoting human rights. We get discriminatory laws changed and prisoners of conscience released. We’ve helped stop torture, commute death sentences and protect women. We stand alongside Indigenous Peoples demanding that their rights be protected.
Amnesty International is seeking an Urgent Action Coordinator to prepare and distribute Urgent Actions (UA) and develop and implement strategies aimed at growing the UA Network. This position has a particular focus on using digital tools and platforms to support and expand the UA Network in support of our human rights objectives.
Strong candidates will be upbeat, energetic and resourceful, and have strong oral, written and digital communications skills. They will understand how to use the internet and social media tools to build communities, and have knowledge of effective grassroots organizing and campaigning strategies. We’re looking for someone who can work independently and as part of a team, who is well-organized and is attentive to details.
The Coordinator processes UAs issued by the International Secretariat for distribution to members based on their preferences around themes and timing. The Coordinator sends the UA out by email and other formats as needed. From time to time this may include versions for youth or other target audiences.
The Urgent Action Coordinator develops and implements strategies for growing the audience for Urgent Actions. This position will especially focus on delivering and promoting the Urgent Action program online and as part of the engagement journey for Amnesty International cyber activists. For full details, refer to the job description posted on Amnesty’s website .
- College degree OR 3 years of work experience in a related field.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail are required.
- Experience organizing a team of volunteers is recommended.
- Writing skills must be well-developed and clear language training is desirable.
- Knowledge of human rights and world geography would be helpful.
- Time management skills in the context of competing priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to animate and motivate people.
- Good conflict management skills and sound judgement.
- Leadership development and membership training skills.
- Ability to collaborate with persons from a wide variety of backgrounds and skills.
- Knowledge of how to mainstream cultural diversity in a non-profit organization, which includes understanding the needs of a diverse membership.
- Proficient with computers, databases and data management.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel and Internet Explorer.
- Experience publishing with CMS systems such as Drupal or WordPress.
- Strong social media skills and experience using online organizing tools such as Facebook, Hootsuite, Attentive.ly, Sprinklr, Nationbuilder or equivalent.
Hours: Part-time (20 hours/week)
Start date: By late-May 2016
Location: Toronto Regional Office
Salary: $62,400 – $64,200 (plus 15% in lieu of benefits)
Deadline: Applications accepted until noon (ET) April 13, 2016
Covering letter, resumé and 2 references from supervisors should be submitted electronically via Charity Village.
Although every application is appreciated, only candidates invited for interviews will be contacted.
Amnesty International Canada is committed to employment equity, actively seeks diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified applicants including women, members of racial minorities, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-03-18