OverviewAlberta Health Services Senior Clinical Safety Specialist Full Time in Edmonton, AB
Alberta Health Services
Branch Edmonton AB CA
Senior Clinical Safety Specialist
Provides leadership in the development and implementation of assigned projects and programs, leads various patient safety meetings, committees and project teams…
This position provides expert advice and operational solutions to ensure client needs are met and future needs anticipated; provides leadership in the development and implementation of assigned projects and programs, leads various patient safety meetings, committees and project teams, and contributes to strategic planning and systematic evaluations of clinical safety programs and services.
The position will have a key role in stakeholder relations, planning and organizing the activities of the department and coordinating issues management on behalf of the Patient Safety Department.
- Assist with the establishment and maintenance of the quality assurance structure for AHS within the Edmonton Zone and lead activities to aid in hazard identification and safety prioritization at a local and provincial level.
- Lead and coordinate safety analyzes of both close calls and adverse events involving patient harm; function as a resource to the senior executive within clinical operations and assist in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of recommendations intended to improve the safety of patient care, etc.
- Assist the Executive Director, Integrated Quality Management with operational management of Zone located safety resources.
- Develop and maintain quality performance information related to quality assurance activities within AHS.
- Provide advice and operational solutions to the Executive Director, Integrated Quality Management, to ensure that the clients’ needs are anticipated and met.
- Contribute to the planning and evaluation of clinical safety programs and services.
- Coordinate issues management and will review in-coming clinical issues, requests and trends from a variety of sources within and outside of the organization.
- Balance the workload of CSLs against the needs of the organization.
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of the quality assurance structure by monitoring requests for the establishment of new committees or subcommittees.
- Ensure that the quality assurance activities within the structure have met the legislative requirements of the Alberta Evidence Act and have not put the organization at risk.
- Lead activities which aid in hazard identification, safety prioritization, and trends.
- Develop and deliver formal orientation to new clinical safety leaders; evaluate employee performance, post-orientation.
- Provide direction and coaching to clinical safety leaders specific to clinical issues.
- Participate in joint decision making with the Executive Director concerning staff development matters and may co-conduct their performance reviews with the Executive Director.
- Acts for the Executive Director, Integrated Quality Management as delegated.
All Management and Out Of Scope positions are being reviewed for possible inclusion in the AUPE General Support Services bargaining unit. If this position is impacted, the incumbent will be notified accordingly.
- Baccalaureate degree in a health care discipline is required.
- A combination of clinical experience and education will be considered.
- A demonstrated clear pattern of professional and personal development.
- Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered.
- Project management skills an asset.
- Requires in-depth knowledge at the expert level of the theory and application of patient safety principles, reviews, processes, and tools.
- Five years patient safety review or investigation experience as a Clinical Safety Leader, including at least five complex investigations handled.
Upon commencement, must take:
- AHS’s “ Fundamentals of Patient Safety” course.
- Adverse Event Methodology.
- “Disclosure of Unanticipated Medical Outcomes” (DUMO) course.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Posted on: 2016-02-19