OverviewAlberta Health Services Diagnostic Sonographer II Full Time in Grande Prairie, AB
Alberta Health Services
Branch Grande Prairie AB CA
Diagnostic Sonographer II
Grande Prairie, AB
Communicating any equipment problems and arranging service schedules with the service company and Director. Troubleshooting equipment problems, in conjunction…
In cooperation with the Diagnostic Imaging Director, the Senior Technologist, Ultrasound coordinates and supervises the day-to-day workload in the area of ultrasound. The Senior Technologist, Ultrasound functions with limited supervision in the monitoring of patient flow, staff and equipment performance ensuring service provided is efficient, effective and of the highest standards. This position actively participates in the performance of patient examinations and works closely with all individuals within the department and Peace Country Health.
1. Participates fully in the performance of patient examinations as prescribed by physicians:
- Actively performing technical functions in the ultrasound area
- Reviewing requisitions and patient history to identify physician’s requirements
- Communicating with patients to verify identification, explaining procedures, etc
- Ensuring the proper process is followed in the performance of the requested service and that the testing performed is accurate and valid
- Referring unusual requests to the appropriate personnel in a timely manner
- Rotating through the various shifts
2. Supervises the personnel involved in the provision of ultrasound services:
- Providing an ongoing assessment of staff skills and advising of proper work standards as defined departmentally
- Responsible for scheduling of staff to ensure that service needs are being met
- Identifying and initiating discussion with staff when performance excellence is achieved or problems arise
- Participating in performance appraisals and discipline of team members in conjunction with the Director and departmental peers
- Maintaining and applying program and accreditation standards
3. Works as a coordinating team member with the Director, departmental peers, technical and non-technical staff to provide leadership and consultation to staff:
- Maintaining a close communication link and working relationship with staff at all levels
- In conjunction with departmental peers, continuously evaluating staffing levels and scheduling (patient and staff) to maximize patient flow and departmental efficiency
- Orientating staff to work area and to new procedures and equipment
- Working with staff to identify patient/consumer needs and fostering a team environment, with the area supervised and as part of the overall service, to work towards those needs
- In the absence of the Director may be asked to accept responsibility of that role
4. Ensures the area of ultrasound is operating to expected standards, including:
- Communicating any equipment problems and arranging service schedules with the service company and Director
- Troubleshooting equipment problems, in conjunction with service engineers
- Working with departmental peers and the Director to ensure accreditation standards are achieved and maintained
- Ensuring proper Quality Control testing, as defined departmentally, is performed to accepted standards and is properly documented
- Assisting the Director in identifying new equipment needs
5. Performs other related duties as required, such as but not limited to:
- Instructing staff in proper techniques
- Responsible for inventory control of any supplies needed for ultrasound
- Acting as a resource and providing technical expertise and information to staff within the regional service and to a variety of health care providers
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Director
The incumbent will be evaluated on the above with respect to the following:
- Evidence of maintaining positive relationships within the department as well as with internal and external clients
- Evidence of effective utilization of resources
- Evidence of team and individual development in the provisions of service
- Support and promotion of departmental policies and procedures
In addition to a competitive rate of pay, AHS currently has a Remote Retention Allowance in place to an annual maximum of $3,000. This allowance is non-pensionable and is payable on an hourly basis for all hours paid at the basic rate of pay.
- Canadian Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (including CSDMS liability insurance).
- Echo and Vascular qualifications are required.
- Canadian Association of Registered Medical Ultrasound Professionals (CARDUP) and/or America Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS).
- Graduation from an approved ultrasound program.
- Management courses an asset.
- Computer literacy and training preferred.
- Extensive experience in various specialized ultrasound imaging modalities and techniques.
- Extensive experience in the establishment of operation of an ultrasound program.
- Experience in the supervision of other staff.
- Training, experience and certification in other areas such as Adult Echocardiography.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and delegate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a host of technical, medical and administrative personnel both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and lead orientation and in-service sessions to a variety of technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to lead, motivate and supervise other technologists.
- Ability to ensure the quality of work within the department.
- Evidence of ability to foster an environment which promotes a team approach to the provision of services.
- Evidence of precision and attention to detail and to develop those skills in other staff.
- Evidence of an understanding of patient and client needs and a desire to meet those needs.
- Evidence of maturity, diplomacy and tact.
- Evidence of initiative, motivation and independence in the ongoing provision of service and the implementation of projects.
- Evidence of initiative and willingness to keep current in the individual’s area of expertise.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Grande Prairie, AB, CA
Posted on: 2015-01-28