OverviewAlberta Health Services Addictions Counselor III Part Time in Fort McMurray, AB
Alberta Health Services
Branch Fort McMurray AB CA
Addictions Counselor III
Fort McMurray, AB
Liaises with and refers clients to appropriate government and community agencies. Services are delivered at the Addiction Services office as well as in selected…
This Addiction Counselor generalist position reports to the Counselling Supervisor and or the Area Manager. Duties include provision of information, early intervention, and treatment services to youth and adults concerned about their use, as well as family members, friends or others concerned. Prevention services are provided in schools and in communities throughout the service area. Services are delivered at the Addiction Services office as well as in selected schools, agencies and community-based settings.
– Conducts assessments, identifies client issues, formulates, and carries out appropriate treatment plans in order to meet client needs.
– Facilitates and coordinates individual, group, and/or family treatment.
– Provides ongoing individual counselling and working with family members as indicated.
– Designs, implements, and evaluates prevention programs and services.
– Liaises with and refers clients to appropriate government and community agencies.
– Participates in treatment teams, contributing to the enhancement of treatment effectiveness.
– Provide representation, consultation, and/or specialized training for allied professionals including resources, services, and issues related to substance use/abuse and youth.
– Design, develop, implement, and evaluate community education/prevention programs giving priority to designated target populations.
– Orientate staff, students, trainees, and allied professionals to prevention, outreach, and treatment services for adolescents.
– Respond to community requests for information and/or assistance.
Note: In addition to a competitive rate of pay, AHS currently has a Fort McMurray Allowance in place to an annual maximum of $12,480. This allowance is non-pensionable and is payable on an hourly basis for all hours paid at the basic rate of pay.
– Bachelor Degree in Social Sciences, Social Work, or related area is preferred.
– Registration with the associated Regulatory College is required if you meet the eligibility requirements to practice a regulated health profession under the Health Professions Act of Alberta.
– May require special authorization from professional college/association to perform psychosocial interventions.
– Participates in ongoing professional development activities.
– Required to stand or sit for extended periods of time during performance of duties.
– Moves, lifts, or transfers client’s personal effects.
– Travel in all weather/road conditions.
– Requires involvement with clients/families that could be verbally or physically aggressive.
– Must have a valid Alberta, Class 5, Driver’s license, and have access to a personal vehicle for use to complete work related duties.
– Non-violent crisis intervention certification desired.
– Suicide assessment training desired.
– DSM-IV training desired.
– Experience in the field of addictions and Mental Health counseling is desired.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posted on: 2015-01-24