Adams Lake Indian Band Special Education Teacher’s Assistant Part Time in Chase, BC
Adams Lake Indian Band
Branch Chase BC CA
Special Education Teacher’s Assistant
Assists assigned children in instruction, communication, social activities and integration, recreation, sports, arts and crafts, personal hygiene, and other…
- Responsible for planning, implementing and supervising activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of one student with autism spectrum disorder in the Special Education program in accordance with relevant policies and procedures
Under the general direction of the principal, assists the classroom Teacher in tutoring support services to students with autism and/or special needs in a classroom setting in acquiring learning, behavior and social skills. Goals are established by the collaborative educational team and the student’s individualized educational plans.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITES:
- Provides a variety of responsible instructional support activities to enhance the educational environment of students and to meet the educational/training objectives of the program and the collaborative educational team.
- Oversees students during class, tutoring, mainstreaming, playground, eating activities, emergencies and preparedness drills, etc.
- Supervise students in a variety of situations under the jurisdiction of teacher, the collaborative educational team, and parents, always observing students’ behaviors carefully to ensure personal and group safety.
- Assists assigned children in instruction, communication, social activities and integration, recreation, sports, arts and crafts, personal hygiene, and other designated activities.
- Assists and supervises in transferring children to and from buses, special equipment, classrooms and events, ensuring student safety at all times.
- Creates progress reports and communicate this information with the student’s guardian and collaborative educational team.
- Prepares materials to use in classroom and therapy. Assists in maintaining a disciplined, neat, orderly and attractive learning environment.
- Discuss progress or problems of the student with collaborative education team in order to determine plans for improvement.
- Establish routines for the student providing them with positive guidance and building their esteem.
- Develop and maintain current, accurate and confidential student files.
- Within the framework of establish policies and procedures, assist students in classroom activities in the absence of the teacher; report observations of student skills, behaviors and abilities to appropriate personnel.
- Understand and apply guidelines involved in the confidentiality of student information.
- Assist in crisis intervention procedures and restraints; communicate with parents and legal authorities, collaborative educational team to facilitate crisis intervention; engage in physical and sometimes strenuous activities with students.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have Special Education Diploma with specialty courses in Autism
- 5 years of experience in special education with experience in autism spectrum.
- Ability to pass a criminal background, vulnerable check and child abuse record check.
- Knowledge of C. Special Education Policies and Procedures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft software, including Word, Excel, etc.
- Knowledge of the Secwepemc culture an asset.
Job Type: Part-time
- Special Education – Autism: 5 years